Suggestions for eating at night

Options
So, I'd say that over half my calories are consumed after I get home from work at night. I'm really good during the day about watching what I eat, but when I get home, it all goes downhill. I know I'm eating b/c I'm bored- only half the time am I really even hungry. I know that there are many issues that I need to deal with here, but I'm looking for suggestions for light dinners. What do you guys eat?

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im with you... I just eat garbage when I get home from work too! I dont even know why I have the stuff in the house!
    Im going to try drinking water with lemon or lime juice in it right away when I get home. I used to do that when I started this program and it seemed to work so Im going to try it again starting tonight! Good luck!
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    As far as dinner goes, Amy's Organic makes some frozen dinners that are pretty filling and lower calorie. I also eat frozen meals by gluten free cafe, but I don't know if you'd eat that =) Also when I get home and am craving junk food I eat low fat snack pack chocolate pudding, it's only 80 calories for the cup! Sometimes I eat 2 =)
  • kimberlygo
    Options
    I have this problem, too. One of the things I've noticed is that the earlier I get home, the more I eat. Sometimes if I get out of work early, or have nothing to do at night, I will find reasons to stay out later. Sometimes it is just walking or running an errand. It works for me.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i have a soup of an evening and it fills my stomach--and stops me wanting anything else!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of salads for dinner and/or I'll have steak or grilled chicken breast with steamed vegetables.

If you're worried about what you're eating, make sure you only have healthy food in the house. I will snack a lot of there are chips or cookies, but if those aren't there for me to eat I won't snack because even though I love fruits and vegetables, I don't crave them the way I crave junk food.

Also, make sure you're spreading your calories evenly throughout the day. Don't save them all up just so you can snack at night. Finally, find something to do if you're eating because you're bored. Read a book or find a hobby.
  • atamas
    atamas Posts: 10
    Options
    From my research at night it is best to avoid eating bad carbs after 6pm. Instead focus on fruits, vegetables and taking in lean Protein. For Protein, it should be casein protein which is slower to digest than the typical protein shakes. A very good choice is fat free cottage cheese.

You can research this point further on the web. But to keep it simple, just try to focus on eating vegetables and lean protein for dinner instead of chips, rice, breads, etc. Eat healthy complex carbs such as whole grain bread for breeakfast and for lunch. Protein should be eaten at every meal. Below is a link that ellaborates on night time protein:

http://www.supplements-explained.com/casein-protein-the-night-time-protein-source/
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Or exercise instead...if you are bored...move more.

Brush your teeth....

Drink water and wait 20 minutes. You may be hungry...you may just be thirsty.

As much as I hate to waste money or throw away food...get rid of the easy to eat junk and put easy munchy veggies in its lace (I recently did this at work. My coworker keeps junk at her desk but I stocked the fridge with hummus, carrots, cut up broc, cucumber, radishes, 100 cal guacomoli and a jar of salsa for a kick LOL)
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I am now getting up at 5am to do my workout in the morning and going to bed earlier at night to avoid the temptation. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, everyone! I don't buy junk food- never eat chips or cookies or anything, so I'm eating fat free greek yogurt with blueberries...fiber filled breads, etc. Just too much of it. I think the boredom is the problem, so did start doing late yoga classes, but that's only 2-3 days a week. I'll just keep at it, though!! Thanks again: )