link to "worst foods" in America....Yikes!

Options
Some eye-opening info on some of my ex-favorite (back in the day) foods.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838237/?GT1=10547

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Some eye-opening info on some of my ex-favorite (back in the day) foods.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21838237/?GT1=10547

:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    I saw that. And as every good calorie counter should know, the dessert was a little low on the scale. PF Chang's offers a 6 layer cake with 2,200 calories and 89 grams of fat. I don't know if the Cheesecake Factory offers their nutrition info (I don't eat there), but their portions are enormous!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I agree with the portions being huge. If we DO go there, bring friends and SHARE!
    I read something once that said that our portions had doubled. IE. If you look at the recipie for Chocolet chip cookies from the 1970s it says that the recipie makes 24 cookies... and each cookie = 1 serving
    The exact SAME recipie today says that it makes 12 cookies and that 2 cookies = 1 serving.
    :grumble:
    I remember my Grandmother making cheesecake when I was young. 1 slice of cheese cake/1 serving on her recipie said 2 fingers wide. Cheese Cake Factory is about 4 to 5 fingers wide, and twice the height... Meaning that each slice is 4 servings.
    No WONDER we are over weight these days!!!:noway:
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,787 Member
    Options
    Yeah for big fingers! :wink:

I've noticed that about cookie recipes. I never make as many as they say it makes. I'm a bit of a lazy cook though.

I did spot a halloween sugar cookie in the store the other day. One cookie = over 500 calories.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You mean one of the cookies with all of the cream cheese frosting on it?
    I belive that! :tongue:
    I know I mentioned it before, But what knocked me over was the cals on a salad at a chain resturant.
    Named after a fruit and an insect maker of honey :wink:
    almost 800 cals As Is. So much for eating health THERE!
    But before I could get the cals I called the company to ask. They told me that they could not GIVE me the cals, because each resturant has different menus...WHAT??!!??:noway:
    I have been to this place at different states accross the nation and EACH AND EVERY FREAKING ONE HAD THE EXACT SAME MENU!!!:explode: :mad:
    But I digress. Even with large fingers, there is a VAST difference between 2 and 4 fingers!
    --Diann...
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If a restaurant chain I eat at does not list Nutrition Data on its website, I have emailed them to say I will patronize them again only when they choose to demonstrate they care about my health.

IHOP marks a few menu items as healthy, but does not give full numbers. They gave me the same line that menus change and differ regionally. So, mark with an * and a note: "National average".

If Taco Bell, McDonalds, and Souplantation can do it, any chain can. Let them know that some customers care, and do we have a choice.
  • filergirl
    Options
    Wow. That list of foods grossed me right out. I didn't even know stuff like that existed. I mean, I've seen people order food and it goes by and I'm like "wow, look at that thing," but I always assume that at any restaurant you eat half of what's on your plate, unless it's *very* fine dining.
  • Furpaws
    Options
    Next time you're in line at the grocery store, take a look at what's in the other carts. Frozen this, frozen that, boxed "helpers", etc. At what price convenience?