fat burn @ 60%... feels like Im hardly moving

Options
2»

Replies

• backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, FORGET everything you THINK you understand about the "fat burning zone".

It's largely a myth or at least deeply deeply misinterpreted by people in terms of what it actually means!!!!

http://scienceblogs.com/obesitypanacea/2010/06/the_myth_of_the_fat_burning_zo.php
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    The "Fat Burning Zone" is a complete myth. Google "Fat Burning Zone Myth" and you will find much more detailed explanations as to why it is misinterpreting how our bodies work. Yes, you burn more fat as a % of calories burned at that point, but, you burn a huge amount less calories. When you would harder, you burn more calories total, and while the percent directly from fat is lower, your body does still burn fat and a lot of it at that point. In short, ignore the whole fat burning zone thing, it is basically garbage. Workout hard and you will lose the weight.

Finally someone!! +1 and thank you for some sense.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your "fat burn" and "cardio zones" aren't static. They will be dynamic relative to your effort and progress. I have seen my limits change over the last few years.

they change approx every 10 lbs of weight loss....at least that is what i have read
    I used to think this in the beginning. Yes your body will burn a higher % of fat than carbs at lower intensities but at higher intensities you burn more calories. The % of fat calories burned might be lower but you are still burning more fat calories overall.

HIITs are amazing. Check them out.

I get that...but consider this train of thought.....currently I do not eat back my calories ( I will when I get OUT of morbid obesity and closer to overweight) so I dont want to burn more calories...I really DO just wanna burn more fat......

I've always trained at high intensity. You will burn fat. I'm a prime example of that. The zone training is merely hype. Focus on getting a good burn.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    fascinating!!! I am so glad I stumbled onto your expertise....all of you....and this wasn't even my post but I had the very same sorts of ?s and confusion and I think I am clearing it up now.

wow!!
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    you can still probably do higher intensity even if you don't eat back your calories until you get to a really low body fat percentage. ask a doctor though. it is important for you to optimize your time and energy, so to me it makes more sense to up the intensity and decrease the time than to keep at a steady lower intensity for longer, especially if you are burning the same number of fat calories.
    true indeed... I do need to consider the amount of time

also, i'm not 100% sure on this since I haven't looked at the literature lately, but I think after you've done 20+ minutes of steady state cardio that you have used up most of your muscle glycogen stores and at that point you are burning almost purely fat anyways. so if you plan to do 40 minutes of exercise and you can handle the cardio zone for that long, then go ahead and do 40 minutes of cardio. you are burning a LOT MORE fat from 20-40 minutes.

Ive read something about this...off to google world

I am doing Insanity but wanted to supplement it with a 2nd exercise if fat burning..... apparently my heart rate is styaing in aerobic zone too long and I need to slow it down to stay in my 60% fat burn zone....

but this feels like Im hardly doing anything.... FRUSTRATING!! Im gonna do the slow old lady thing for 2 weeks but dammit I better burn fat cuz I have a cruise coming up and I dont not want to mistakenly get harpooned while on one of the island beaches

And what is wrong with the "old lady thing"????::grumble: : Some day you will be old too, so watch up because there are a lot of people over 50 in this post. I weight less than a 25 years old and I exercise 6 days a week doing the "old lady thing" Pilates,ballet, jazz, weight lifting and cardio.... and I am 67...

didnt mean to offend...the "old lady thing" obviously means something different for me than you....

in THIS context, old lady thing= constant, steady enjoying the easy pace

anyhoo, THANK YOU ALL for your input... a LOT to take it & consider...
    fascinating!!! I am so glad I stumbled onto your expertise....all of you....and this wasn't even my post but I had the very same sorts of ?s and confusion and I think I am clearing it up now.

wow!!

Amen!!