Walking vs walking and pushing a stroller?

Options
I just walked for about an hour pushing a 2 and a 3 year old in a stroller. When I log my exercise, MFP says that I burn 193 calories for walking a dog at 3.0 mph, but I only burn 146 calories for pushing a stroller. How can this be? It is much harder pushing a stroller. I just wanted to get some input as to houw to better estimate how many calories I actually burned. Any ideas? Thanks.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Options
    I just walked for about an hour pushing a 2 and a 3 year old in a stroller. When I log my exercise, MFP says that I burn 193 calories for walking a dog at 3.0 mph, but I only burn 146 calories for pushing a stroller. How can this be? It is much harder pushing a stroller. I just wanted to get some input as to houw to better estimate how many calories I actually burned. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I guess possible buying a HRM to monitor your cals better.
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    Probably because when we push strollers we don't walk as fast as if we were walking a dog that may be pulling us faster? It acually does not make much sense to me, but that was the only thing I could think of. But are you sure your logging it in as 60 minutes? That does sound a little on the shy side even if you were walking with no dog or stroller. Also you have to count for 2 children in that stroller, MFP is probably only counting for 1 small child. If it makes you feel better, I'm positive that you burned more than 146 calories in an hour. But I have no idea how you would log that. I'm sorry, not much of a help I know...
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain. I walk at 3 mph for 30 minutes, but do I burn more calories if I'm doing a controlled arm swing with a 3lb weight in each hand? I say yes. I add about 5% of the caloric burn to my total for the stated exercise. I may be off +/- , but I'm not concerned too much. Until I get an HRM, I have to guesstimate a little.
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Try caloriesperhour.com. I push a double stroller with two toddlers who each weigh 30+ pounds, uphill, etc. I add 150 calories more per hour for this. I really keep up my pace almost as much as if I was walking alone. I have been walking daily for an hour plus a workout tape. I have really seen a difference in my body toning up and slimming down.
    Feel the burn!
  • PrincessDesiray
    PrincessDesiray Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I would def. say that you burned more cal. with the stroller. I walk at a 2.0 pace because I have a 5 year old whom tags along, his brother sometimes wants to get out as well which slows me up more. Can't wait for Kindergarten so my little guy will stay in the sroller, the jogging stroller prefer. because the reg stroller just moves us to slow. But I def. would say at least 200 cal. for your stoller workout.:drinker:
  • brittanylynn04
    Options
    I wonder if you're not supposed to calculate your walk time then add on the stroller pushing. That would give you extra. I was just looking at this as well and was starting to assume that. Because my 30 minute walk was 214 and pushing a stroller was 107. I think that if you add them together it seems more logical.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I always have my daughter when I walk so dont really know if its more than regular walking BUT, I live in Florida and the sand gets quite thick if it hasnt rained (no sidewalks) I also get a serious arm shoulder workout too! At times my hearbeat goes up to 140 pushing thru a rough spot! I burn about 200 Calories walking for 30 minutes, I do jog on one road (shortly) because the sand is hard, and walk fast...But yeah I go by my HRM, and I always take my heart rate often to get a more accurate read on the calorie burn..That reading from MFP seems too low, use walking briskly(3.5)mph??
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and pushing 24lb daughter - I burn around 200 cals per 30 minutes. It can be more as I live in the hilly part of the country and the school run is uphill.

i do weigh 234 so that will be a factor.
  • Focusedjessy
    Focusedjessy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I push a stroller with a 30lb baby an I have a 60 lb pit bull on a leash. I have no clue how to track that. I even jog in spurts so I guess I will just make something up that sounds reasonable
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am guessin they are assuming you are walking slower with a stroller.
    I push a stroller with a 30lb baby an I have a 60 lb pit bull on a leash. I have no clue how to track that. I even jog in spurts so I guess I will just make something up that sounds reasonable

Personally, I would log the walk and/or jog as is and not worry about the extra. I would consider the extra cals burned by pushing the stroller as a bonus (I don't think the dog counts as extra I think the MFP entry refers to pace not added intensity)