Help me avoid emotional eating

Options
We are having plumbing issues at the house and just found out that there is no way to resolve said issues completely until at least next Friday - as in, a week and two days from now. Add my hormones into all of this and I would really like to just break down and cry, but I have work to get done!

On top of that, I am just feeling run down today - it took me two tries to get a whopping twenty minutes of yoga :(

I just want to curl into a ball and cry. Or eat a pint of ice cream. Or both.

Did I mention that, having gotten through an excellent shopping trip of fresh veggies, I now have to return to the store for CLR? Maybe I will try Target - it is easy to avoid the grocery section there.

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That is so frustrating and soooooo tempting to eat your problems away. I struggle with that all of the time. Keep yourself as busy as possible. Focus on any good thing that you can find. Steer clear from the grocery store and drive through! Check in here as much as possible. You will only feel worse in the end if you eat! We are here for you!!
  • LusciousLeaks
    Options
    I have a small journal...it stays by the fridge and everytime I go to eat...I write down how I'm feeling...after I have written then I evaluate why I am eating...and it stops 99.9% of all emotional eating.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you musnt allow yourself to use times like this as an excuse to eat---I used to do it all the time but not anymore--find a different way to focus your energy---go take a long walk. Go do some kickboxing---that works great for me cuz I let me anger out that way. Just whatever you do, do not use these as reasons or excuses to eat.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    emotional eating can definitely be a struggle....but I found that if I am feeling worn down, and crabby (I can admit when I'm crabby...) :) and I find myself thinking about BINGING on something horrible for me, I take ten minutes to THINK about things....about WHY I would eat something and throw off my progress, about HOW I would feel afterwards...and eventually, within that ten minutes, I decide against eating the junk!!

Perhaps a nice walk in the fresh air would also help make you feel better!!! :) Or, if you can, get a good 20 minute power nap in! :)

Good luck, stay positive, you're worth it!!
  • chelebe
    chelebe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know what your saying!!!!!!!!! I have been there too. My job keeps me stressed out and ready to flip out. To make it worse the coffee shop in the building is baking cookies. I want one so bad.
    But I keep looking at my weight lose counter, thinking how good did it feel to lose 13 pounds. what will 20 feel like?

Take your self shopping for clothes, jewery, or makeup. You always need shoes. Or just go for a nice slow walk.

STAY OUT OF STORES WITH FOOD IN THEM!!!!!!! :)
    You will feel better tomorrow.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    UGH! Plumbing problems are one of the worst!! Definitely don't eat over them!!!! Listen to some up beat and / or head banging music, something to really get your spirits up and dance!!!!!! I find doing this can help alleviate some stress. Crying does work too I must add. Just don't go for the ice cream!!!!!! At least not until you've done some dancing!
  • Brandy715
    Brandy715 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree- I do Zumba about 3 times a week. I notice that when I do not do it- I feel more run down, and just plain blah. But the excersice really helps release my stress!
  • olbluefox
    Options
    Emotional eating is just, MORE eating. I find myself eating for whatever reason. So I have lost over 70 pounds by just limiting my calories and exercise. Eat if you must but WRITE down the calories. As you approach your daily self imposed calorie limit find lower calorie ways to eat. I got so upset writing this that I ate a large lettuce salad with lite dressing (Thousand Island) - 70 calories! The daily calorie limit is the key. Good Luck! We are there with you in spirit and in prayer!
  • merit_decrease
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, Concordancia. That sucks big time. Try to focus on the positive though - you got yoga in today despite it being a horrible day. You're doing great! Absolutely, go for Target. Or maybe a hardware store?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all!

So I went to the hardware store, since I decided I needed a reseater, as well as the CLR. The candy bars in the check out lane at Home Depot did not tempt me, they ticked me off. I am going to apply the CLR, then look through my exercise DVD's. I think I have a hip-hop dance one that will be perfect for today!

New line of exercise DVD's: Punch and Judy's Pillow Fight; Angry Rock Dance Off...
  • firecracker72
    Options
    Put the ice cream down. Walk away from the ice cream!

Seriously, though, take 2-3 minutes and breathe deeply, really deeply. Walk around. Drink water.
    Anything that distracts you. Eat a piece of celery. Chew, chew, chew. Anything that gets you gives
    you some time to calm down and think more clearly. Keep writing on here. If you are typing, it's
    harder to dip that spoon in the container!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Phew - I got through it. I actually feel empowered now. I let my partner know the new plan and he seemed to think I had taken care of everything, so I went ahead and took care of everything we can take care of until we are allowed to shut off water to the entire building next Friday.

But in between shopping and plumbing, I did twenty minutes of Urban Heat. It is supposed to be my strength day, but at least I have gotten in a half hour or so of SOMETHING. Perhaps it was the workout that made me feel like I could reseat a faucet valve without ruining it!