bike owners

Options
I bought a bike a month or so ago and I love it, but so far I've only gone on rides with no stops....I'd like to use it for quick trips to run some errands as well, but I don't have a lock for it. I haven't owned a bike in years so I would imagine bike chains/locks have changed some. What is a good lock I can buy that won't be too expensive (hopefully under 20????)

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I bought a bike a month or so ago and I love it, but so far I've only gone on rides with no stops....I'd like to use it for quick trips to run some errands as well, but I don't have a lock for it. I haven't owned a bike in years so I would imagine bike chains/locks have changed some. What is a good lock I can buy that won't be too expensive (hopefully under 20????)
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Get a U lock (they look like a big U with a bit of metal going through the open ends). It may be a touch more expensive, but its worth it, especially if its not just a junk bike.

Cables can be cut very easily, and are generally really insecure. U locks go through the front tire and frame of the bike, and then lock on to something else like a pole. A determined thief will steal your bike no matter what, the goal is to just delay them long enough that people get suspiscious.

Another bike tip: park your bike by bikes that are either a) prettier than yours, or b) unlocked.

Finally, if you're worried about all theft, if you have a quick release seat you may wanna pull off the saddle/stem whenever you go into a store. I see them get stolen all the time out in Philly.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Get a U lock (they look like a big U with a bit of metal going through the open ends). It may be a touch more expensive, but its worth it, especially if its not just a junk bike.

Cables can be cut very easily, and are generally really insecure. U locks go through the front tire and frame of the bike, and then lock on to something else like a pole. A determined thief will steal your bike no matter what, the goal is to just delay them long enough that people get suspiscious.

Another bike tip: park your bike by bikes that are either a) prettier than yours, or b) unlocked.

Finally, if you're worried about all theft, if you have a quick release seat you may wanna pull off the saddle/stem whenever you go into a store. I see them get stolen all the time out in Philly.

Thanks, I have seen those U locks and I wasn't sure if they were better or not. I am not TOO worried about it getting stolen with the lock, it was only a $90 bike but I love it and having it stolen would mean spending another $90 (haha yeah I'm broke). One question.....how to you attach the lock to your bike without it clunking against the bike and making noise while you're riding it?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    A lot of them come with a mounting bracket that can be attached anywhere on your bike's frame :smile:

Check out your local bike shop, they'll be able to steer you towards a quality one in your price range!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Some of those U-locks can be opened with a bic round-stic pen. I would make sure I'm getting a good one. $40 is a small price to pay to protect a $400 bike. Trust me, I've had a bike stolen. I also ditto the advice about the QR seat and front wheel. If you have QR skewers, make sure the lock goes through the front wheel.