Life Lessons taught by a 7yr old

Options
They say with age comes wisdom. What if I told you we could all learn a thing ot two from a 7 year old?
Meet Benjamin. A 7 year old boy born Oct 15, 2003 with cerebal palsy. Ben could not walk, he could not speak nor could he even feed himself but he sure knew how to smile! Ben was grateful for what he had. His parents loved him dearly and did whatever was within their means to give him as normal of a childhood as possible. Although he could not run around the playground like the other children, he rolled himself around on the floor as best he could. It would take Ben several minutes to conjure enough energy to roll himself on his side but he didn't mind. He had determination! He was determined to move his arms and legs, even if it was just kicking them in the air. He embraced every experience and he did so with a smile. He never really learned to speak but had he been able I'm sure he would have told his parents he loved them, and even the woman he could have married someday had he been given the chance to grow-up. Most of us have a voice and we should let the ones we care about know that we love them. Ben didn't speak, but his smile and giggles got his message across.
The beautiful light that resonated within his soul would outshine even the darkest moments in his life. When his family spent endless nights caring for him and worrying whether or not he would live to see the next day, he smiled and without words, told them it would be ok. Ben never knew his limitations because he didn't feel them. Ben was grateful to be able to kick his legs in the air, even if they weren't strong enough to allow him to walk. He could laugh because everything around him was beautiful in his eyes. We could all learn a thing or two from the Benjamins out there. We need to learn to work within our means and to be grateful for what we can do instead of what we can not. We need to learn that a smile says it all, even if the words won't come out. We need to learn life is beautiful and to embrace every experience we are awarded. I heard Ben's mother re-count numerous stories of their deep connection. When she was sad, he looked at her and simply smiled. She referred to him as a gift from God, a loan, if you will and that was her greatest gift of all. She accepted the fact he was not hers forever, but the memories he left behind are. He taught us all a lesson. He taught us acceptance and grace. Ben never had the chance to chase butterflies, stomp around in puddles or play on a little league team but he did learn that regardless of the darkest moments in his life, his smile would light the way
Every day for Ben was a struggle yet he was happy. Most of us go through many struggles of our own, some are major and some not, but how many of us go through those rough patches and still smile? Ben did. Another lesson we can learn from him. How many of us forget we are all here on loan? How many of us neglect to embrace that inner child within us? How many of us put off doing things we enjoy because we are too busy? Another lesson we can learn from Ben. He embraced every moment he could. He spent many of his days in the hospital while most children his age were outside playing with their friends. Ben lived his life to the best of his ability. How many of us do that? Another lesson taught by Ben.

Last night I wrote a similar post of his story but felt compelled to do so again after returning from his funeral today because he was truly a remarkable little boy. I did not know him personally but he is the nephew of a close friend of mine. I watched a video that captured the many moments in his life and the only time didn't smile was when he was being fed prunes. I don't blame him, I wouldn't have smiled either. We all need to learn from Ben. Live life to the fullest. We are only here on loan.

Benjamin C. went to be with the Lord on April 8, 2011. He is no longer suffering and is chasing the butterflies in Heaven.

Replies

• dtwrybhpy
    dtwrybhpy Posts: 25
    Options
    I am one person who knows these values all too well. My daughter had Spina Bifida and was a paraplegic, and passed away from an infection from an elective surgery that was supposed to improve her quality of life. She was just as you have explained.... Just plain happy about little things, ALL OF THE TIME. My little girl could speak but never walked until she reached heaven (I would like to think)... Great lesson to be reminded of, THANK YOU! :)
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this!! I really needed a reminder today, you post was so touching and beautifully written! I'm sorry for your friend's loss, love the idea of him chasing butterflies now. thanks again
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.