Protein Shakes - Any Suggestions

BADGIRLstl
BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey MFP...I need help in finding a protein shake to drink after working out. I am absolutly clueless and have no directions what so ever. Could you all help me on why a shake is good after a workout...should I worry about calories that's in it...how much they typically cost and where I might be able to purchase it at. Thanks a bunch!!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Optimum Nutrition Whey is a good one.

Scivation whey is good also.

Bodytech whey is on sale at vitamin shoppe and I'm liking it so far.
  • Plant Fusion
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Reclaim SMART smoothies are popular with women. They have a little sugar, about 120 calories, 20g protein and 2g of fat. A lot of protein shakes have a lot of fat. SMART smoothies come in vanilla bean and chocolate varieties--maybe others. I found it at Complete Nutrition, if you have one near you. You can add it to milk or orange juice, coffee or water--whatever works. At 120 calories it's more like a small meal/big snack--if you add milk to it. (220 calories)
    Good luck!
  • I make my own with a scoop of whey protein, some frozen fruit, and some lower calorie juice. They come out to be around 200 calories and taste awesome!
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    LOVE Naturade Soy Protein sold at Sams in a gigantic resealable bag for like 20 bucks. I mix it with Almond milk, keeps the calories, cholesterol low. Its not chalky or gritty. And its a great source of plant protein!
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    I drink 100g of protein in (2) shakes per day. I make them with Champion Pure Whey Stack in Chocolate (the only kind that doesn't make me gag!), two scoops each. I mix it with coffee and cream. Here's the recipe:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4280141/Step-by-step-directions-on-how-to-make-the-best-protein/#35238089

If you're looking for a ready-to-drink shake, I hear that Premier Nutrition shakes are really good. They come in chocolate and vanilla, and you can get them from Sam's Club or Costco. You can also order them online but the cost is high with the shipping.
  • jppolito
    jppolito Posts: 6
    I like Myogenix After Shock Critical Mass. And you use the potein shake after a workout to feed your muscles and help them recover.
  • B2BB
    B2BB Posts: 222 Member
    Go to consumer reports to find out which ones not to have first. U will be surprised what some manufacturers put in protein shakes. I love shakeology, look at nutrition facts. Your body only uses 30 max grams of protein at a time, and if u need it for recovery you need it to have carbs aswell. Trust me I have done my research, and shakeology is one of oprahs favorite things, lol, no lie. It's in this months issue of 'O' :)
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    MGN Pure Whey Isolate.

Serving Size: 30g
    Servings Per Container: 30.4
    Amount Per Serving Amt % DV
    Calories 110
    Calories From Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
      Saturated Fat <0g 0%
      Trans Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0 0%
    Sodium 80mg 3%
    Potassium 240mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 1g 1%
    Sugar 0g 0%
    Protein 25g 50%
    Vitamin A * 8%
    Vitamin D * 20%
    Calcium * 25%
    Riboflavin * 20%
    Phosphorus * 15%
    Vitamin C * 1%

Or MGN's Whey blend. Just a few more carbs and barely any fat. I got the Isolate for $23 including shipping for 2 lbs. I like starting off with a clean protein that I can build off of to meet my needs.
  • For post workout, AMP from GNC is really easy. You can just put the powder in a little shaker bottle, take it to the gym, and add water to it after your workout. They say to use 3 scoops, but most women I know only use 1.5 scoops, that's 40g of protein and 140 calories, instead of the 60g, and 280 the directions identify as a "serving". I'm picky, and I really like the Cookies and Cream flavor.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    I actually really like the Jillian Michaels ones. Where I'm at it's the only one that's all natural. I have to get the powder because I am allergic to milk, but it comes in premade bottles also.
  • BADGIRLstl
    BADGIRLstl Posts: 473 Member
    Thanks all for responding. I have a starting point :blushing:
This discussion has been closed.