p90x... first week

Options
This is my first week of p90x. I was hoping to get some other people's stories, experience, advice...

I don't have the pull up bar so I am doing the band in a door (tying a sock for the anchor because I don't have that either).

This is day 3 for me and I am super super sore but in a good way. I was wondering if it gets less sore over time though? I mean I kind of like it but at the same time I don't like being so sore that it's hard to get up off the couch and walk around!! (is there something I should take to help with this? fish oil, ibuprofen, nothing...)

In general, I'd love to hear suggestions and stories about how you guys felt during the first week and if it got any better!

Replies

• RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Y'day was my first day of the Classic and I woke up this morning with mildly sore shoulders and chest. I think the whey protein I consumed before and after the workout helped me a little. You also might want to consume anti-oxidants while you are doing the P90x program. I've heard from people that it helps.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Being sore is part of the joy!! LOL The soreness will change over time, but my experience is that it is always there. It makes me feel very alive! As you get stronger, it won't hurt to stand or sit though! I highly recommend the recovery drink, like Tony suggests. It definitely helps you feel less sore after a hard workout. The combination of carbs and proteins helps with muscle repair.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    My legs were sore for a week after that first Plyo x session. It was brutal. the key was to do it again next week.

I started my 5th round Monday so I did Plyo X last night and I use a 10 pound medicine ball with 60% of the moves and I'm nowhere near as sore the next day. I know I worked out but It doesn't hurt to sit down like it did that first week.

If I really push hard on the resistance workouts, I feel it the next day but not to the point that i need to take anything for it. I use the soreness to measure how hard I'm pushing myself. If I don't feel anything the next day I know I dogged that workout.

As Tony says on the dvd, just keep pushing play.
  • kmturtle3
    kmturtle3 Posts: 556
    Options
    I'm on day 16 of the classic and haven't missed a day thus far, and I can pretty much tell you that some part of my body hurts every day. :smile: But its a good thing. I definitely agree that some sort of whey protein, whether its the recovery drink or your own concotion, is key. I usually just add it to my oatmeal in the morning and that seems to help quite a bit.

On the plus side, amidst all the soreness, I can already see a huge difference in both my strength and endurance. 3rd time of Plyo still kicked my butt like crazy, but I was able to hang with them on a lot more than the first time.

Friend me if you want - we can keep track of each other!
  • syd1980
    syd1980 Posts: 283
    Options
    i finished my first round on 3/31/11.... ooh the soreness, what helped me was finding a recovery drink, massage the area, and stretch . also drinking your 8 glasses of water.

hang in there , i lost 20 pounds and over 23 inches. hope you took your day 1 pics. it is so worth the soreness.
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Did any of you find a Recovery Drink that was more economical than the p90x one? Have you heard of chocolate milk instead? What do you think? I need to do Ab & Arms today but I'm still having trouble walking around from yesterday's plyo so I want to figure this out before I start today's exercises!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    You can use a good protein shake for recovery since during the first phase of P90X you need to take in 40-50% protein anyway. Wal-mart has the Body Fortress protein powder, there is also Jay Robb protein, Muscle Milk, and BSN Lean Dessert protein to name a few.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I kinda like the soreness from doing p90x workouts. I am on week two of the lean program. I haven't found a recovery drink yet because I really don't know what they are for. I eat every 2-3 hours and drink about 3 liters of water a day. I always make sure to eat protein. :)
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Syd1980: You said " i lost 20 pounds and over 23 inches"... Mind if I ask what type of diet you did along with p90x. Also was the inches & weight lost strictly over that 90 day period? Also Congrats on doing it! It's definitely a workout!