Training For My First 5k

Options
I promoted myself from power walking to running about 3 weeks ago. I figured signing up for a 5k would give me a goal to work towards.

When I was powerwalking, I didn't eat my exercise calories. I didn't really feel like I needed them. Now that I am running- I find that I am starving all of the time.

It is kind of upsetting me, because I still have 10 pounds to go. I know in the grand scheme of things 10 pounds isn't that much- but I don't want to become content with them on, either. I may be 10 pounds overweight this year, 12 next year, and so on till it adds up and up.

I don't want to give up running because I really enjoy it. But I am not sure about my diet- how to adjust it so I'm not hungry all the time.

Replies

• nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I promoted myself from power walking to running about 3 weeks ago. I figured signing up for a 5k would give me a goal to work towards.

When I was powerwalking, I didn't eat my exercise calories. I didn't really feel like I needed them. Now that I am running- I find that I am starving all of the time.

It is kind of upsetting me, because I still have 10 pounds to go. I know in the grand scheme of things 10 pounds isn't that much- but I don't want to become content with them on, either. I may be 10 pounds overweight this year, 12 next year, and so on till it adds up and up.

I don't want to give up running because I really enjoy it. But I am not sure about my diet- how to adjust it so I'm not hungry all the time.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    eaet those exercise calories!

with so little to lose, you need all the calories that you are expending, especially since you are running that much!!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi nelleybelley,

I can feel your frustration but don't understand why. Please bear with me.

I understand that since you've been running you're hungry "all the time". Being hungry because you've upped your exercise is to be expected. You say you didn't eat your exercise calories when you were walking but now it looks like you need to start eating your running calories.

As long as you are in a caloric deficit you will continue to lose weight and this you can easily see right here on this web site.

If you're hungry EAT. That doesn't mean you should make unhealthy choices. It may not take much for you to satisfy the hunger. Maybe a snack of a piece of fruit and a 1/2 cup of ff plain yoghurt.

I don't understand why you make the jump from enjoying running to giving it up.

By the way, how far away is your 5k? I trust that you're working with at least a 12 week training plan.

Trust some of this makes sense.
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Nellybelly:

I too am hungry after a run. Not right after but an hour later and then an hour after that. Just make sure to have a snack or recovery drink. A small chocolate milk, 1/2 banana with PB, etc. To work efficiently it should be heavy on the carbs with a bit of protein, a 4:1 ratio. Then a couple of hours after that have your healthy, planned meal. Also make sure you hydrate sufficiently both before,, during especially if more than 15 min) and after
  • AndreaMMil
    AndreaMMil Posts: 165
    Options
    for me, the difference between powerwalking for 40 minutes and running my 5k for 40 minutes was vast! my heart rate monitor logged 326 calories burned for 40 minutes of walking and 558 for 40 minutes of running. that's huge! you're hungry because you've burned way more calories and your body is starving for them. EAT! you'll feel better and you body will thank you by burning more efficienty.
  • nelleybelley
    nelleybelley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

My 5k is at the end of September. I am working with a training program and increase my milage about 10% per week. So far so good. The training is going great. I am up to about 8 miles a week. I love running and getting in the "zone".

I think I need to get a heart rate monitor. I am looking into one of the forerunners watches w/ my dh. I have just been using the old 100 cal per mile estimate. Even eating those cals, some days I am just still hungry. Not every day- thank goodness- but definitally more than a few days a week.

So I should have been more clear- I do eat my exercise cals, but am still hungry. I think I have been underestimating how many cals I burn though.

I think a 4:1 ratio snack post running may be something to try. Cause that is typically when I get really hungry- about an hour and a half after my runs.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i agree about the underestimating thing, nelley.... In my 5k last month, i burned 600 cals, twice as much as the 100 cal per mile thingie!