Water

Options
Tangerine302
Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
I've been drinking sooo much water since tracking on mfp. So my question is why is it that no matter what size you are that you are to have 8 glasses of water per day? (Mine says 8 anyway and assumed everyone is the same.)
Wouldn't someone who is 200 or 300 pounds need more water than someone who is 100 pounds? Seems like it should be a percent of ones body? Sorry if this sounds strange, but I'm new and just trying to understand everything. :)

Replies

• sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    I read you should drink half your body weight in ounces.
  • Sassymomma82
    Options
    I seen a nutritionist last year and she told me that I needed 82oz of water for optimum weight loss for my size (which was around 180). So I do think that it will have to do with your size. The minimum for adults is 8-8oz glasses but that might not be enough to help your weight loss.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    That's a good way to do it! :)
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I drink a lot of water to begin with, but 8 cups is the “recommended” amount per day. This is something doctors have come up with to generalize what the “normal” person loses in water per day through urine, sweat, etc. The only sure fire way to know how much water you need to drink would be to use what is called the Replacement Method. Basically you track how much fluid you are losing through the day and make sure to drink that amount. I find this method too hard, and honestly are you going to pee in a measuring cup?

I have a refillable water bottle at my desk at work. It hold 3 cups and I know I go through at least 2 of those a day. So I know I am drinking at least 6 cups of water a day.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    there are so many opinions on this, the basic rule of thumb is 8 8oz glasses because you also get water in your fruits and vegetables etc. If you follow the 8oz rule you are also supposed to drink 8oz more for each hour of exercise and 8oz more for dry or really humid climates (wouldn't that be everywhere?) This would equal roughly 80oz per day not including water obtained through food.

The other opinion is half your body weight in ounces to make it easy, when I worked at my office I used a sharpie to mark my water bottle now that I work from home I just keep track near my water cooler. Oh, and I use the half your body weight rule because I live in AZ and I figure it guarantees I will get enough water :wink: