1800 cals in 24 hours

Options
right guys I wore my Garmin 405cx HRM for 24 hours to get my accurate cals burned- it was a rest day for me in terms of exercise. It calcluated that I burned only 1800 cals in total. I am Male 5ft 6 and weigh 165lbs. MFP has calcluated I need 1550 cals per day (without exercise) to lose 1lb per week. Im wondering should I re-set my goals? Ive lost 10 lbs so far but have stalled for a few weeks now

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not intended to be worn all day, and are notoriously inaccurate if worn during inactivity. I wouldn't rely on those numbers. If you want a better idea of your BMR/RMR I would say either get a BodyBugg or BodyMediaFit, or have your RMR tested. The testing is done at many gyms and usually runs $50-100 from what I've heard.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not intended to be worn all day, and are notoriously inaccurate if worn during inactivity. I wouldn't rely on those numbers. If you want a better idea of your BMR/RMR I would say either get a BodyBugg or BodyMediaFit, or have your RMR tested. The testing is done at many gyms and usually runs $50-100 from what I've heard.
    On the one hand, I agree that a HRM can be inaccurate....when I wear mine in the car or near any electronic device (such as my laptop computer) it thinks my heart rate is over 300! Lol. But, also to play devil's advocate here....isn't the BodyBugg a HRM in essence? I would guess that the BodyMediaFit and any other such devices are, too. I have never seen them, so I don't know....mabye I'm asking a dumb question.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    On the one hand, I agree that a HRM can be inaccurate....when I wear mine in the car or near any electronic device (such as my laptop computer) it thinks my heart rate is over 300! Lol. But, also to play devil's advocate here....isn't the BodyBugg a HRM in essence? I would guess that the BodyMediaFit and any other such devices are, too. I have never seen them, so I don't know....mabye I'm asking a dumb question.

Not really. They are intended to be worn all day and are designed to record heart rate and cals burned during any time, not just when heart rate is elevated. HRMs are only designed to be accurate recording elevated heart rate. I don't recall the specifics; Somebody wrote a great blog about how to use HRMs (and when not to use them)... I'll see if I can find it.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Someone has written a great blog about HRMs innaccuracy when you are not doing an aerobic activity. Link anybody?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

BodyMediaFit doesn't even do HR at all. It goes by a bunch of other things, motion and temperature and stuff, but not HR. I love mine, never take it off except to shower.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Looking for it...
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As for resetting your goals, YES! I just clicked off my current loss/week goal, then back...the daily calorie numbers completely changed based on my current weight input. I would do that every month to "recalibrate" MFPs deficit numbers.