Homemade Chinese, Indian, Thai, etc. recipes?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
Does anyone have any yummy recipes to share? I'd rather make my own than order it out.

Replies

• Rachaely
    Rachaely Posts: 113
    Options
    Good question! I'd love to hear some recipes as well. I love Butter Chicken but haven't found a healthy recipe (yet)!
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I cook lots of Indian vegetarian stuff like Dal Makhani (black lentil curry), Yellow Dal (Yellow Lentils), Dalia (Bulgar wheat), Upma (Cream of wheat), Poha (flat rice) and other stuff using vegetables. What are you looking for specifically?
  • KDemon
    KDemon Posts: 18
    Options
    Here is a receipe for Chala Masala that I got from a vegetarian site a couple of years ago. I love this and need to make it again soon:

1 can chickpeas
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic
    3 handfulls spinach
    juice of one lemon
    1 tsp garam masala
    olive oil

Chop onion fine and saute in olive oil until translucent, add garam masala and finely chopped garlic and cook 1 minute. Drain chick peas but reserve liquid. Add chick peas and lemon juice and enough liquid to almost cover. simmer for 15 minutes adding more liquid if required (I don't add much at all to mine). Add spinach and cook until wilted.

Easy peasy and very yummy - approx 650 calories for the whole deal and serves 2
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    ruhimaach - I'm not looking for anything specific. Just some healthy ideas of things I can make at home. I'll try anything once :smile:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to EatingWell.com with a list of Chinese recipes!

http://www.eatingwell.com/search/apachesolr_search/chinese
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian Chicken Stew

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 large onions, diced (or 3 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes)
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and more to taste if you'd like
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    2 cups water

The Directions.

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Empty the tomato can into your cooker. Put in the chicken thighs, and add the lemon juice. Now add butter, onion, and ALL of the spices. Pour in the water. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 5. Your soup is done when the onions are soft and translucent and the chicken is cooked through and begun to fall apart.
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    I cook a lot of Dalia because it's made of whole wheat and is really good when you're trying to lose weight. Here's the recipe that I follow:

http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-favourite-dalia-for-breakfast-200515

To make it simpler, I just use 2-3 cups of frozen mixed vegetables, instead of chopping veggies separately. ;) You can adjust the salt and add just 1 teaspoon to lower the sodium content. 1 cup Bulgar Wheat usually lasts me for 2 meals. 1 cup uncooked Bulgar wheat = 4 cups of cooked dalia (roughly). Also, after it's cooked, I like to spray lots of lime on it :)

You can buy Dalia (Bulgar wheat) from any India grocery store.