food questions

Options
cjwolfjen
cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
What kinds of foods will give me more protein and less carbs? I'm eating healthy but still getting same carbs as protein. Dont I need more protein than carbs?

Also how do you guys track your food when you go out to eat at local "mom and pop" restaurants that you cant find in the food menu on here?

Replies

• pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    you don't need more protein than carbs.
    I can't remember the default settings on MFP as I've changed mine to increase protein - but I'm still aiming for 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat... and that's a fairly high protein diet.
    I think the default setting might be 55% from carbs?

if you want to increase protein eat more lean meat, nuts, low fat dairy etc. If you are finding it hard to get enough then protein shakes and bars can help to boost it but they aren't cheap!

hope that helps :)
  • britnitennis
    Options
    HI! Yes you want more protein than carbs. If you eat a carb make sure you always have a protein as well. Cheese is good,no carbs, but watch the fat. Fiber one has a great cottage cheese that is very low in fat and high in protein and fiber which is awesome! Protein will help keep you full longer. What kind of foods do you like? :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Lean meats (chicken breast), fish (tuna, salmon), and lo fat cheese (cottage) are your friends!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein first always! Lean meats, fish, eggs all have protein. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese have good protein as well. There are also lots of protein supplements, shakes, powder and bars. For shakes and powders you want over 25grams of protein and for bars you want 18+.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Just do your best guess when you can't find something. Sometimes homemade items will fit the mom and pop restaurants (sodium might be off and things like that) but you can get a decent estimate.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Just do your best guess when you can't find something. Sometimes homemade items will fit the mom and pop restaurants (sodium might be off and things like that) but you can get a decent estimate.

PS sometimes you can ask (e.g. do you used instant Mashed potatoes or real ones - those kinds of questions help a lot).