HRM: dead or alive?

Options
I have a HRM and have noticed over the last couple of weeks that it takes the gym cardio machines longer to register my HR (about 10 mins. into my exercise). The machines used to pick up my HR within seconds of me getting on the machine. Is my HRM dying? I've tried various machines and it is always the same. However, once it is working it doesn't have any problems. Is there a battery I can change? My HRM is a couple of years old, but I have only used it probably a total of 6 months. :cry:

Any ideas?

Replies

• cmb2742
    cmb2742 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming it's a HRM with a strap that goes across your chest... if this is the case, make sure the strap is wet when you put it on. This helps the connection. Also, try to tighten the strap around your chest a little and make sure it is high enough on your chest. If you are wearing a sports bra, it should be tucked in right underneath it. I work with HRMs all the time in my Phys Ed classes because my students have to wear them. I have never tried this method but I have also heard that if you can't get a good reading from the HRM to wear the strap on your back. Just reverse it around because some people get a better heart reading from their backs. Hope this helps :)
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It is one with a strap and I do wear it under my sportsbra. I priced a new one...about $65! Yikes! I will definately try the wetting suggestion and if that doesn't work I will switch it to my back before I get a new one.
    Thanks.
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Wetting my HRM seemed to work today. Thanks for the tip!
  • cmb2742
    cmb2742 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yay! Glad it worked!