Need some ideas and advice.

Options
toots99
toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
I've been thinking lately about trying something new.

A little background on me first: I'm 38, and I've been overweight since about 8th grade. My highest weight was 249 about 10 years ago, and I've lost 91 lbs since then, the right way, slow and steady and healthy. I've lost weight before, and gained it back, but this time I can tell it's gone for good. I just know it. It feels different than before, you know? Anyway, growing up, I never really had anyone try to help me go in a different health direction. No one ever said to me "You don't have to be like this. You can do it." Well, my Mom said that, but you know Moms, they have to say those things. :laugh: But she was the only support I had. And though she would tell me that, I had no idea about how to go about doing it differently. I was like 15! :laugh: Everyone else just kind of, maybe not 'ignored' the issue, but never really said anything about it. No other family members, or anyone in charge at school, and certainly not my friends. And I'm sure as a teen, I'd have been mortified if I had been singled out. But I think things would have turned out differently if I had someone to go to, someone to confide in, someone to give me a boost, someone who had been in my shoes and told me "You can do it, this is not all there is, and screw all those kids making fun of you."

So my thinking is, I want to be that person for other kids. I don't know any more than that, though. I have no idea what that would even be categorized as. Would that be a counselor? A Big Brother/Big Sister type of thing? An assistant at a local rec center? I wouldn't even know where or how to get started. Are there programs for overweight kids that need help? If anyone has ever seen Too Fat For 15, I want to be one of those people.

I know I can be of great help, and I know there are kids out there that would want the help. I just don't know how to go about it.

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That is such a cool thing to do! I would suggest contacting a local YMCA or Boys & Girls Club. You can also contact places like Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers to inquire about progams specializing helping overweight youth. Good luck with that and I would love to hear if you succeeded in this venture, so please keep me posted!
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I would go to the internet and see if "Too Fat for Fifteen" has a website. They may some info on it to help you. The internet is a great place to start if not, just start googling terms you think would fit what you want to do and see what kind of info you get. I think it would be fantastic for you to something you obviously have a passion for.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful idea Toots! I think any of the options you mentioned would be very helpful to children. I have a friend that does big brothers/big sisters and loves it.
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • toots99
    Options
    bump
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    hey Toots.
    I think this is an awesome idea.
    I did a quick search in google and found this
    http://www.overweightteen.com/dallas-obesity.html

good place to start.

Perhaps though you want to get info to the kids BEFORE they get to places like this camp.
    Big brother/big sister would be a great idea as well.
  • toots99
    Options
    Thanks a lot...I've been dooing some googling here and seeing what I can come up with.
  • toots99
    Options
    bump
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Have you thought of checking in with the school nurses at some local schools? They are very overworked and really can't address these issues but you might be able to talk to some of the health classes and or PE classes. The elementary teachers I know appreciate this also. If you went through a principal or other administrator they may agree to your working with kids during breaks. Most schools don't have money right now, but they appreciate motivated community supporters.