Polar FT4 problem

Options
Anyone have the Polar FT4 and ever have any problems with it? While I was out running today it kept losing connection with the chest strap and was consistently giving out a 0 bpm reading so it said I only burned 75 calories... Before anyone asks, YES I wet the little sensors and I was sweating like mad the whole time during my run. I put it in the same place I always wear it (under the boobies safely tucked under the sports bra). I'm kinda mad. I've only had the thing for a month and I already sent in the receipt and UPC for a rebate so there's no taking it back to the store. This is the first time I've ever had any trouble with it.

Replies

• chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    that happened to me after about a month and a half - turns out i had lost some inches and needed to readjust the strap. that did the trick for me - sorry yours went on the fritz! :(
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I've had the same trouble with my FT7. But, the store we bought it from offered a "service plan" on it. So, I can exchange it right at the store without having to send it to Polar for service. I've exchanged 2 of them since July for that same reason!

Contact Polar; perhaps they will offer a swap for you!
  • angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    HHMM I have never had a problem with mine. Try calling the manufacturer and see what they say. I have the FT4 and it always stays connected. I have heard when the battery runs low it can cause those kinds of problems.. Did you leave it on overnight by chance or something that could have run the battery down??
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me a few times yesterday with my Polar FT7.
    I figured it was just because the sensors were drying out. (I wasnt working up a sweat walking, but still burning fat) :)
    Mine is new, so I know its not the batteries dying.
    Hmmmm??:ohwell:
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    HHMM I have never had a problem with mine. Try calling the manufacturer and see what they say. I have the FT4 and it always stays connected. I have heard when the battery runs low it can cause those kinds of problems.. Did you leave it on overnight by chance or something that could have run the battery down??

yes - the battery can affect it. I have a Timex/Iron Man one - and happened to mine. I needed new battery and there is a tiny little reset button right near the battery. Not sure if polar has this - but might be an idea.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have had this problem.
    Sometimes the sensors need cleaning.
    Most times it's a good sign you've lost inches, and need to make the strap tighter.

Especially since you were jogging, it probably made the chest strap come away from the skin on occasion.
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    I had that problem for one or two days and then I realised I had been using spray deodorant on the area under my chest strap when I usually just use roll on. I think the spray had interupted the connection from the strap. I went back to roll on and after putting the strap through the washing machine it never happened again.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I haven't had issues with mine but it's only been a week. Hopefully, there will be no issues.
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with my FT7 but my boyfriend had a similar one with his. When he spoke with Polar they asked him if he had been running water on the strap promptly after he'd finished every work out. He hadn't been, so they suggested gently scrubbing the strap and censors with a damp J-Cloth and that did the trick. Perhaps try giving it a good clean?
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with my FT7 but my boyfriend had a similar one with his. When he spoke with Polar they asked him if he had been running water on the strap promptly after he'd finished every work out. He hadn't been, so they suggested gently scrubbing the strap and censors with a damp J-Cloth and that did the trick. Perhaps try giving it a good clean?

whats a j-cloth???
  • Amairee
    Amairee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ah, apologies, a J-Cloth is a Canadian brand name for just your average microfiber cleaning cloth. I'm sure any cloth would do.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    that happened to me after about a month and a half - turns out i had lost some inches and needed to readjust the strap. that did the trick for me - sorry yours went on the fritz! :(

That's probably it - that's a good thing right???
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    That's probably it - that's a good thing right???

After it happened the first time to me, I knew the next few times.
    It would happen when I was jogging, and I see my heart rate at 0, I just knew! I would get that fuzzy warm feeling inside and start smiling. Then I would just tighten up the chest strap again because I lost an inch or more on my chest.

I've gone through this at least 3-4 times.
  • GettingFit45
    GettingFit45 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Mine does this too. I put new batteries in it and it still happens. I can't tighten the strap anymore it's as small as it goes and it's pretty snug. I do wash my strap after every use (with soap under the tap) then towel dry it. I purchased it from a woman who said she had not used it more than 4 times. When I got it she had left her stats in it and there were only a few work out sessions in there so I am pretty sure she is telling me the truth. So I dunno what the deal is....I was thinking of picking up a new strap for it. :(
  • Memphisgab
    Options
    Mine wasn't reading my heart rate. Try the advice of using a microfiber cloth. Worked like a charm for me!! :smile:
  • lorimgarcia
    lorimgarcia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am having the same problem, and mine is super new. I will try all the suggestions. I had become frustrated!