feeling sick after going over calories

Options
Today I went over my calories. I still am learning how to master restaurant dining. Anyways, I have noticed anytime I go over, I feel very sick. I get stomach aches that remind me of childhood. Is this normal? Prior to starting mfp, I would eat these many calories or more and feel great. Does this mean my stomach is shrinking or had just adjust to my new lifestyle?

Replies

• LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Ok I am editing what I wrote previously. How far over did you go?
    Generally speaking - yes your stomach shrinks when you reduce the volume of food you put in it over time - so to then put a large volume of food in it could cause discomfort. Its not necessarily calories - but volume. A head of lettuce would stretch your stomach out more than a small candy bar, but have less calories. If all you did was just intake a few more calories than you normally would and you are having discomfort, there could be a different issue.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd say its food your body is no longer used to handling, and hopefully your stomach has gotten used to the lesser amount :)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    could be what you said, but could also be that your stomach isn't used to something else that may be in restaurant foods like high saturated fats & protein, or high sodium, or hidden MSG (monosodium glutamate - used in most restaurants to enhance flavor but potentially deadly to the body).
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also, just throwing this out here - Did you feel sick before or after you calculated how many cals were in things? Though it is likely to be foods you have not been consuming so often (MSG etc) there also CAN be a mental component - 'Holy crap I ate HOW MUCH?!?!' <and commence making yourself feel bad about it>

Just something to be aware of.

**DISCLAIMER: I may not know what I am talking about.**
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I agree with the mental thing. I get the same way when I go over- even today. I went to 1400- now i am worried even though I burned over 700 cal working out. I do want to add- I think the 1200 is maintenance. I started eating more calories and started losing more.