Green Tea as a Fat Blocker, Appetite Suppressant, and Metabo

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I feel that, even if these things do work, compliance to the exact method of making it work is impossible.
    Also, that much green tea would make me an insomniac!
    But it does taste great, is a lo-cal beverage especially is you don't add a lot of milk/sugar to it.
    But you could try it and see if it helps you!:)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I vote crap because that's all I ever drink, green tea and water... never sped up my weight loss.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    I drink 3-4 cups if green tea a day. Not for any magic properties, just because its a nice drink. Does it help fat loss? Well I got fat drinking it and now I'm losing fat drinking it so my guess is that a couple if cups a day is not enough to notice any difference. But drink it anyway, it tastes nice.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I can't say whether or not it has attributed to my weight loss, but drinking tea in general helps me curb my cravings for sweets. I have a green tea from David's Tea called 'Long Life Oolong' I really like, it has dried peach and apricot pieces added to it. :)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I often enjoy matcha. I don't for a minute believe it will help me with weight loss or "fat blocking" whatever that is.

It is high in anti-oxidants and may or may not be good for you. I drink it because I like it.
  • bettyboop416
    Options
    Regardless of the fat blocking or appetite suppressing qualities that may or may not be found in green tea, it is a good idea to have some. It's as hydrating as water and has antioxidants that will make you feel great. GO FOR IT. :) Don't listen to the naysayers... it'll be good for your body regardless of how it affects your weight loss goals.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Several years ago my doctor told me to start drinking plain unsweetened green tea several times a day for the antioxidants and because it supposedly helps with weight loss. (I usually buy the "naturally decaffeinated" kind.) I've been drinking it all day every day since then. My weight has been up and down because no green tea is going to cancel out the calories in cookies and other foods I over eat. But I rarely get sick, so maybe the tea helps with that. And I'm not sure if it actually suppresses my appetite or if it just keeps me full, but any time I think I'm hungry I drink a cup of green tea first and that keeps the hunger at bay for a while longer. It tastes better than water, so I drink it. A lot. (I also pee a lot... Just a warning.)
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Forget the study. Correlation does not equal causation. We don't know what the other factors were in the diets of these people who participated.

Reality: Green tea is not new. It doesn't block fat or suppress the appetite. We know this based on centuries of evidence.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    From the research I've read, it's not that you drink green tea and lose weight/fat just like that *snap*. You don't start eating more calories and then figure the green tea can balance it out.

I think it's more that all else being equal, if you add green tea into your diet, you may see your waist shrink a little more than if you didn't add the green tea.
  • deegee44
    deegee44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Load of rubbish... I have been drinking green tea for years, not because of the health properties, but because I love the taste of green tea and I am afraid to say it did not supress my appetite :-(. Lovely tea though :-)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but i do have a question. I had to stop drinking coffee because of the caffeine. I started drinking green tea to satisfy my drinking a hot mug of something habit. I thought there was no caffeine in green tea. Do I have to look specifically for a no caffeine label?
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I just like it! Whenever I have that annoying sweet craving, like it's almost a taste in your mouth that you can't get rid of until you eat some sugar? If I drink green tea that usually helps get rid of it too!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Whether or not it has any effect, the cited article is bogus from the first sentence. The journal publishes research, it does not in and of itself make claims.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just like green tea. :) It helps me stop from sucking down waaaay to much Diet Mt Dew in a day. :) I go thru a 3 qt pitcher of green tea ice tea a day. (at least I try to)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer but i do have a question. I had to stop drinking coffee because of the caffeine. I started drinking green tea to satisfy my drinking a hot mug of something habit. I thought there was no caffeine in green tea. Do I have to look specifically for a no caffeine label?

Yes.

Green tea has caffeine in it naturally. Less than coffee but it's still there.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think one of the main studies on green tea showed that sufficient amounts (can't remember how much!) helped burn about 50 calories a day. The supplement companies then took this and sold green tea extract as a "fat burner". Which they are completely entitled to do since, very crudely, the way to burn fat is to eat at a caloric deficit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8F0BQ8GNQ

But have a read of if you want: http://monstersupplements.com/resource/2011/10/the-power-of-green-tea/
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    "Some researchers speculate that substances in green tea known as polyphenols, specifically the catechins, are responsible for the herb's fat-burning effect. "

Note the word "speculate"... If you like green tea, drink it but I wouldn't count on any miraculous weight loss from it.
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of case studies about green tea increasing metabolism. I have been taking green tea extract (2 capsules a day). There have been many weeks where acompanied with 1200 to 1600 calories/day and 30 minutes of exercise 5 days/week i have had a couple weeks where I lost close to 6 lbs. Not bad right!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You do realize that if you burn 2000 calories a day, the 4% increase in your metabolism works out to only 80 extra calories burned a day? Is that enough to make a difference in your weigt loss? Probably not.

I think this bears repeating. Even if the claims are true...
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    You do realize that if you burn 2000 calories a day, the 4% increase in your metabolism works out to only 80 extra calories burned a day? Is that enough to make a difference in your weigt loss? Probably not.

It won't produce enough of a deficit to make a difference that you can immediately see but between the metabolism boost and the shunting of calories to muscle (and other lean tissue) growth, it will certainly help with maintenance of weight loss, especially with the appetite suppression that comes with it. Plus, there are so many beneficial compounds in it that it is well worth investigating. I drink it with lemon juice and sage added (also many beneficial effects---among them, alertness without the jitters that caffeine produces).