Mehhh!!!!

Options
So I was at my gym today and I asked the trainer there a question about why I burn more calories one day then I do the next and just asking some basic questions, he asked me "How do you know how many calories you burned?" I said "I have the Polar heart rate monitor" And he said "That thing doesn't know how many calories you burnt, it just knows your heart rate."
What?
He said it's a formula and blah blah blah your heart rate monitor doesn't know crap about your body basically. Well...crap. That's pretty much one of the big reasons why I bought it!
So what the crap? He said in an hour of strength training I've probably only burned 5 calories. :noway:

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    You basically don't burn many calories during weight training. The only weight training exercise that probably burns a considerable or [decent] amount of calories is SQUATS and the barbell ones as far as I know.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is true that heart rate monitors aren't accurate during weight lifting. They are most accurate during periods of elevated, constant exercise like cardio. I can't explain the science behind it, but it has to do with VO2 max and how your heart rate changes rapidly during weight lifting. A member named Azdak wrote a good post about the science a few months back. Maybe if you do a search you can find it.