Metallic Taste...

Options
Help!

Today I've had this metallic taste in my mouth all day...brushing, eating my meals, drinking water - nothing helps. It's not horrible, but just kind of annoying. :grumble:

I heard some people experience this on Atkins, but I am not on a low carb diet (I love 'em carbs!)

Bizzare (scratching head)

Anyone experience this?? I take multi-vitamins, and am pretty healthy - I don't know what could cause this...

Thanks!

Replies

• MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Help!

Today I've had this metallic taste in my mouth all day...brushing, eating my meals, drinking water - nothing helps. It's not horrible, but just kind of annoying. :grumble:

I heard some people experience this on Atkins, but I am not on a low carb diet (I love 'em carbs!)

Bizzare (scratching head)

Anyone experience this?? I take multi-vitamins, and am pretty healthy - I don't know what could cause this...

Thanks!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Well, the metallic taste thing is pretty common so don't jump to conclusions.....I had myself all freaked out b/c I had it for about a week and it was strong and very annoying!
    My friend's hubby had it right before he would take seizures and I was worried for a bit, but then I did some reasearch and realized it happens a lot and is pretty darn common.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Yes when I was on 1200 cals a day for a while I got it. It is called ketosis, your body starts to metabolize fats and proteins differently and ketones are the result which cause a strange taste in the mouth as well as a definate odour when on severe cal restriction. It is safe for a while, as the Atkins is safe for a while. Upping your cals once in a while to let your body know that it can continue to burn fat and you're not starving may help/
    Anne
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You should call your doctor. A metallic taste in your mouth could mean there is a problem. Just watched a medical mystery show and the lady on there had a metallic taste in her mouth and it turned out she was leaking spinal fluid through her nasal cavity. Yes, this would be really rare and more than likely not what you are experiencing but my point is that a metallic taste is nowhere near normal and should be checked out.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I just ate some dark chocolate...seems the metallic taste is gone (for now). Who knew chocolate was a cure-all?? :laugh:

I normally eat dark chocolate with breakfast (weird, I know), but didn't have any today. I also cut back my calories significantly this morning since we are having a fant-tabulous dinner, and I want to have calories in the bank :wink:

Nich0le - wow! That is scary. This is the first time I've had this happen, but I will definitely mention it to my doc next time I go in.

Thanks everyone for your responses!