Should I be counting fruit and veggie calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• brapuk
    brapuk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been trying very hard to count everything (food and drink) into my totals. The major reason I am doing it is that I had some major bad eating habits. Writing down everything is really helping me see where those calories are coming from

That's the number one, first-step piece of advice I always give, count everything. Your comment is precisely and exactly why. I've had a few people ask me to help them get started, and my first step is always "Change nothing. But for a week straight, write down absolutely every thing you put in your mouth. Every drop of water, every crumb of every bit of food. Every vitamin pill, every stick of gum, every single breath mint, cough drop, everything."

One of my friends was eating close to 300 calories a day in mints, gum and chewable gummy vitamins. We were both astonished! Everything counts. Keeping a diary can really help you see what is coming from where.

I have a print out that i do every week and keep on my fridge, then file in it away. As well as keeping track on here. My main reason for asking this question was because my Doctor told me not to count them.. Then today i was at the gym working out with my trainer, and she scolded me for not counting...lol So i was just kinda wondering what everyone else did. hopefully 2 journals will be enough. Thats crazy how mints can add up so fast! Ill def have to start counting my gum. I chew tons because thats what i replaced smoking with.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I can see why you'd ask that question, as Weight Watchers overhauled its points-system in November, and now all fruits and non-starchy veggies are free. That doesn't make sense to me - a calorie is still a calorie, even if it's healthy. It's definitely important to count calories of all foods here - even a cup of watermelon is around 100 calories, and little things add up.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Yes...because they are calories. I know some people don't count anything lower than 5 calories but I still do.

There are some veggies very high in calories so I would..example...

artichokes
    beans
    potatoes
    corn
    Black-eyed peas
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    of course..calories are calories