The Omnivore's Dilemma

Options
I highly recommend this book: The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

I am part way through it, and what an eye opener about our food system!

Replies

• bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    hehe i got this book out from the library but ran out of time before i read it! I will have to sign it out again then since it sounds worth the read
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I am further into this book and just want to say again how much I recommend it. It speaks to how our food industry has evolved, and just what it means these days to be "Organic", and how stores like "Whole Foods" fit into the food industry today. It looks at the question of how many calories of energy (oil) does it take to produce and deliver one calorie of food to our table. It discusses the reasons and logic behind the current farming laws and subsidies, and why almost EVERYTHING in stores today are affected by corn simply because we grow such a huge surplus of it. This is an eye opening discussion.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Just read this book and it's a real eye opener of the system of how our food is grown/bred and how it gets to the supermarket. Definately makes me happy that I'm starting to eat more organically!!!

There's also a Young Readers Edition of the book, which is what I read. It has pictures and the language is easier so the read goes fast.

Just wanted to recommend it to others!:-)

Shannon