Cheaper Grocery List??

Options
I know that groceries aren't cheap!! And I deff know that eating healthy is a little more expensive.. Just curious to see where everyone gets groceries and if you have any tips on things that are cheap but still good for you:) I live in colorado so we have whole foods, king soopers , and safeway! :) Also im really busy so the easier it is to just grab it from my fridge and go is better! I usually cut up fruit and prepare stuff a week before so its easier for me to just grab:) Thank you guys! Love Jessie

Replies

• Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I don't think it matters much where you buy it.
    Food is food, if you know there is a better place to get fresh fruits and vegetables then I would go there.
    I like Von's for most of my shopping, but I look at the ads that come in the mail.
    It is nice to comparison shop, if you have the time to go to multiple places.
    things that I like to keep on hand:
    fresh veggies, ( carrots, celery, lettuce)
    Yogurt
    egg substitute ( I use the 99% egg whites in a carton)

good luck!
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm on a tight budget so I stick to a lot of the relatively cheap basics like lettuce mixes, raw broccoli, raw cabbage, potatoes, eggs, strawberries. I eat a lot of broccoli haha.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters much where you buy it.

Places like Whole Foods can be VERY EXPENSIVE! You don't have to spend a fortune to be healthy. I think it's a lot about planning out your meals/snacks for the week. (at least for me)
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    We cut $400 per month off our food budget - here are some of the things we did:

1. Made our own - instead of buying preprocessed breakfast bars - we bought the ingredients and our own. Same for dog treats.

2. Stock up on frozen veggies, and meats on sale. Then, you have enough on hand so you can wait for the next sale.

3. Don't overcook - we would cook too much and wind up throwing out a lot of left overs.

4. Coupons and find the store with the best prices. We have come to like Aldi, but you have to go during the right time of day/week.

5. For some things you eat regularly, you can purchase a subscription from Amazon.com and get a significant discount.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    I should also say that we now find ourselves shopping only on the perimiters of the store where the produce, meats, dairy are found. The central part of the store has shelves stuffed with processed foods.
  • veggiemuncher12
    veggiemuncher12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm all about convenience/cheap foods. I shop @ Costco a lot.. I know bulk buying can scare some people but the fruits and veggies are a great deal. I get rotisserie chickens, pre made mashed potatoes, pre cut broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, snap peas, salad mix, plums, kiwi, bananas, cooked shrimp/cocktail sauce & eggs:drinker: .
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    We get our weekly ads on Wednesday. The husband and I look them over to see what's on sale in the fresh produce, meat, and seafood departments; then plan our weekly meals around that.

In a few weeks, we'll start picking up our Co-op Farm veggies on Saturday and that will change our schedule a little... but it's a HUGE savings and we know the food is organic and local.

edit to add: For really great sales we stock up and freeze. :smile:
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I should also say that we now find ourselves shopping only on the perimiters of the store where the produce, meats, dairy are found. The central part of the store has shelves stuffed with processed foods.

This is a great tip!!
  • electromg
    electromg Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here in San Francisco, Costco and Trader Joe's have been my pocket savers. Safeway is extremely expensive here...even Whole Foods is cheaper if you can imagine! It makes a huge difference where you shop.

I totally agree with getting your veggies (and frozen goods!) at Costco. Maybe it's my imagination, but "Bulk" doesn't seem to mean what it used to. It has actually proven to be perfect portions for my roommate and I to split for 2 weeks. If it will last longer, just put it in the freezer.

I like that Trader Joe's has unique items for cheap, just be sure that you look over ALL of the food labels. I originally thought that everything in the store was made to be healthy for you (hahahaha) The packaged foods are just as processed as any other brand, so still try to shop around the perimeter of the store, like you should be doing at most grocery stores anyway.

Edit: Adding my diet staples

Greek Yogurt (Fage...$5 for about two weeks worth)
    Cottage Cheese; I eat 2%...I don't sacrifice taste, anything lower is nasty
    Pineapple; this helps my sweet cravings tremendously!
    Black beans; fiber and protein in one!
    Double fiber bread
    Turkey
    Hummus
    Smart Dogs
    Soups; mainly for colder weather
    Protein powder; there are food recipes where this replaces bisquik
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not a fan of safeway locally, in that if you're just walking in off the street to buy something it could be $8.59 but if you're a card carrying member (free conveniently) said item is now $4.99.
    Maybe it's just me but I'll go to the budget stores for a lot of stuff where it's $3.99 whether you are a loyal patron or just some joe off the street.
    They do still put on some good specials though so I don't entirely close them out as an option.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention to anyone (not just those struggling financially) can take advantage of Angel Food Ministries and purchase a food box (they offer a fresh fruits and veggies box as well as meats (stay away from the processed junk box lol). This is great, especially for those on low incomes although anyone can purchase as there are no income caps. Go to angelfoodministries.com to find out more information on this ministry and it's program to provide food to communities across 45 states and see if there is a pick up site located near you. :)
  • she_elf
    she_elf Posts: 108
    Options
    I need to remember that "shop the perimeter" thing. And get my mom to do the same. :)
  • cupcakelover103
    cupcakelover103 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Things like frozen spinach, brocolli, canned tomatos, canned chickpeas and tuna are all really cheap and convenient. I only buy food for 1 so i always underestimate what i need, and plan my meals in advance so no food goes to waste. This really makes a big difference. I don't think you have to shop expensive to be healthy at all, and if there are local markets in your area they are worth checking out. I live in australia and when i go to the supermarket i'll buy their own branded products if that makes sense, they're always cheaper and taste just the same.
    Also since joining mfp i've been cooking more at home, and eating out less which saves a lot of money too! I
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    canned veggies, frozen steam in bag veggies, minute brown rice, whole grain pastas, low sodium soups, fresh fruits and veggies. farmers markets are cheap. store brand whole grain bread, store brand cerals, oatmeal etc.
  • EmmieSu
    EmmieSu Posts: 136
    Options
    You know people say it cost more to eat healthy, but I think it's how we look at things. I feed a family of six on one income, it's tough, but I decided that I want my kids to eat healthy, so the bag of Doritos stay, and I pick up the apples. If I shop at Aldi, I can get pineapple, strawberries, and bannanas for less than I would spend on a gal. of ice cream. Every spring and fall a local grocery store has a HUGE meat sale, and I always stock up. We also can and freeze summer vegetables, this helps cut cost too. Support your local farmer's market, or country vegetable stands, they save you money, plus your keeping it local. Or planting your own garden also saves money, and you don't need a huge yard to do it, a patio works great, too. My fil grows tomatoes, peppers, zuchinni, squash, and cucumbers on his patio, and up the fence in his small backyard. It saves me alot of money!!!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere and all we have is City Market (owned by Kroger so it's the same as King Soopers, but about 1/2 of the selection) and we have a TINY health food store. And I am also on a pretty tight budget, but when I stopped buying a lot of junk food and getting takeout I spend about the same amount eating healthy. My staples are usually Iceberg Lettuce (mostly water, I know, but it's cheap), apples, veggies (depends on what's on sale), kroger light wheat bread, 1% milk, yogurt, I try to get chicken in bulk (especially when it's on sale) and portion it out into separate bags and freeze them, canned tuna, eggs, cheese (usually 2%), natural peanut butter, whole wheat tortillas. Frozen veggies are usually cheaper and just as good for you. I also like to get frozen fruits because they are cheaper and are great for making smoothies/protein shakes.
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My favorite place to shop is at my local farmer's market. I can get eggs, veggies, fruit, flowers, locally harvested honey, fresh roasted almonds or an ice cream cone, and even wine! Where I live, in Flint Michigan, or farmer's market is amazing! If I go on Saturday afternoon in the summer, I can even catch a free concert of local talent, or a one day art fair. If I go on Tuesdays, which is my usual day due to having to work weekends, it is much less busy and a relaxing way to spend an afternoon. On those days, we always plan our dinner around the freshest meat and produce of the day. Also in the summer, I plant a big garden and grow the best tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc that I can get anywhere. I can or freeze or give away my surplus. There is nothing more flavorful than biting in to a fresh Michigan tomato, still warm off te vine. Gardening also gives me excercise and a sense of peace that is similar to meditation. I also always think of my mom as I dig into the dark, beautiful loamy earth. I know that in this small act of beauty and nurturing ethical eating, mom is always with me even though she died in 1999. By the way, growing organically is cheaper, safer, healthier and, believe it or not, tastier than using chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbacides. YUM!
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I usually buy most of mine at Walmart. Then, I go across town to Safeway or Family Thrift to get fresh produce and all that stuff. I used to go to Kroger, but none around here :(
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Local Farmers Markets
    Large Quantity Stores (Costco, Sam's Club...etc)
    Fresh & Easy has great deals for fresh fruit/veg
    Vine Ripe (Local SD Store...I think but it's great middle eastern shop which has great low prices)
    Super Walmarts

You could check the weekly mail for what the major shops have going in regards to sales.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has said grocery outlet yet! I usually go there first: load up on lean cuisines for my hubby, find super low cal yogurt sometimes (like slim 50) and low cal deelish beeman sausages, and they almost always have skinny cow or smart ones desserts. They have great fresh veggies (i get avocados, tomatoes and asparagus there a lot). They have an excellent selection of 100 calorie packs and I was very excited to find zero calorie brown mustard there last week. My sister always tells me she's jealous of our grocery outlet. Sure they don't have the same stuff every time, but it's worth the expedition for me! I can usually get out of there for under $70.
    Other than that I go to costco for fish and grapefruit, save mart or raley's for specific special stuff like 80 calories and delicious hot dog buns...

Oh and big lots has good deals on 100 calorie packs too!