Too Much Protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about too much protein. Especially if you're trying to get lean...Worry about carbs and fat. I don't know what your macros are, but 40% would be good for protein, or about 1gm to 1.5gm/lb of bodyweight, 40%carbs and %20fat. This is what my %s are and I eat at least 300gm protein per day, but I have a 30%higher metabolism than avg. Hope that helps!

Well that makes me feel a little better, but you are male. Men apparently burn more protein during exercise than women. Le sigh...
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    This site sets the amount of protein that you should get a day on the low side. I usually look at it as the minimum amount of protein I should have for the day. It tells me after my exercise today I should have 78mg of protein and I actually had 122mg, but everything else I was under.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

125g of protein if your goal weight is 125lbs is NOT rediculous! It should be the goal; if not close to it.

No, it's not the correct ratio at all. Not if you're a lean runner type anyway.

It's 1g/kg NOT pound. So you take ("Goal body weight" / 2.2 ) x 1 = goal protein

So if I wanted 125, that would be (125/2.2)*1 = 56g

My macro suggests 62g, which (for me) would be a ratio of 1.1g/kg. Except I'm eating way more than that, and my actual ratio is 1.4g/kg
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This site has the protein set *VERY* low and the carbs *VERY* high. You would have to change that in your "Goals" section, the recommended amount is 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat.
    It is harmful to eat too much protein, but again, this site has it by default in like 25% which is astonishingly low. Get closer to %40 (I have it at 35%) and you'll be great.

How do you change the settings?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    At least, that's the info I'm finding here:

http://faculty.washington.edu/crowther/Misc/RBC/protein.shtml

and elsewhere.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about 19 grams of protein, but you certainly don't need to go out of your way to consume any more than what the site suggests. as long as you are under your calories for the day, you will lose weight. it doesn't matter if you go over in protein.