Raising calories above 1200

Options
Nemlein
Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
Hello there, I have had a lot of success so far with exercising ~6 days a week and eating back my exercise calories. But life is sort of catching up with me a bit with my schedule getting a bit more hectic and I realize there's not as much time in my schedule for exercising so often. I have found I don't like sticking to 1200 calories a day when I don't exercise; it's just not enough. I still have about 45 more pounds I would like to lose. So my question to all of you is:

At what point in your weight loss did you raise your calories, and by how much? How did you find the "right" amount?

(That's assuming you were doing around 1200 net when you began, I realize)

I'm not completely freaked out by gaining temporary weight, as long as the overall trend is still losing.
Thanks!

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I didnt watch my calories my first two years of losing weight, and I lost 24.3 lbs in one year... the 2nd year I mostly maintained. I struggled with losing the remaining 21 lbs that i had left to lose, and now I've lost 4 lbs since i started MFP. You can do it! I would just try to eat as healthy as you can. Break down your meals into 6 meals if you can.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I just recently decided to up mine to 1300 to try it out about a week ago. At first, I started to gain a little bit (less than 2 pounds), but now I'm starting to trend down.
  • applebottomjeans11
    applebottomjeans11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I actually eat what myfitnesspal has set out for me and that's 1450 calories a day and I don't eat back the calories I work off unless it's before 8 and I am starving!! Not sure if that helps or answers your questions, but I thought that it adjusts your calories for you as you weigh in, doesn't it?
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i've just stuck with what mfp recommended for me. i started at 1200 and since then i've lost 13 pounds and now i'm at 1400 calories. if you click on "goals" it will adjust your calories to your current weight settings. if it hasn't changed yet, then up your calories yourself. start with 100 and see how it feels. you have to listen to your body, that's the most important thing!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goal to 1.5 lbs per week instead of 2 simply because 1200 calories was not enough with no exercise. It's easier to manage, but I'm struggling to make the scale move regardless. :(
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 for a while but found I was always cranky and had headaches so I upped my calories to 1500. I've actually been losing at a better rate than I was at 1200. Some days I eat just about 1200 and other days I may go over but with 1500 calories I am able to adjust based on the day and how my body is feeling.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i never go on that 1200 cal myth.

i go on my bmr and lower from there..from that is just personal preference on how much you want to lose and how fast etc.

if you feel you arent eating enough, by all means eat more.
  • Nemlein
    Options
    I actually eat what myfitnesspal has set out for me and that's 1450 calories a day and I don't eat back the calories I work off unless it's before 8 and I am starving!! Not sure if that helps or answers your questions, but I thought that it adjusts your calories for you as you weigh in, doesn't it?

Hmm, you know, it started me out at 1280, and then when I lost around 25 lbs it adjusted it to 1200. I know I can always set it to lose at a slower rate (i.e., 1 lb/week) but I thought I'd reserve that til I got slightly closer to goal weight.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similiar situation, but I've lost much less than you. I'm probably about 8 pounds down from my starting weight (haven't weighed for a week), but I'm finding that since I'm starting school soon, I may or may not have time for exercising as much as when I had no other daily obligations. I lowered my weight loss goals to .5 pounds a week, and the numbers went up over 200 calories. I'm looking forward to see how this feels for me in the next week or two, because I really found that eating 1200 calories and not exercising felt like deprivation. I've heard so many women talk about how hard it is to eat 1200 calories, but I certainly have too big of an appetite to feel the same way.

Best of luck with what you choose to do. I'd maybe recommend changing your goal to .5 a week loss - then at least you'll feel more comfortable about making food choices every day, but it's still low enough that you would be inspired to work out to get some more. Good luck!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For me, I was losing too much weight at 1 pound a week when I started (needing only to lose 10 pounds). So I modified my goal to 1/2 pound a week. I was eating about 150-200 less on exercise days and found that I was losing muscle and not fat. So I upped my calories to be within 100 every day. I also purchased HRM so tracking calories would be a bit more accurate. I never feel deprived, I have lots of energy, and I'm losing fat. I still have a few pounds to go. When you change your calorie consumption, do it gradually and see where you are in a week or two. That is a good guide for getting the right balance for your body. And always eat more than 1200, unless you're super petite/short to begin with. I, personally, wouldn't go less than 1300 unless I had to make up for a high calorie day or wasn't feeling good.
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I raised mine to 1350. I found I was completely starving and had no more calories when I had it set at 1200. I have continued to lose the weight even at 1350. Play around a little, but maybe add 150 and see what happens. Your body will tell you.
    Ang
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I raised mine to 1300 a week ago. I've been at a plateau for 3 months. I also started doing 30 Day Shred, and actually gained a pound this week. But I'm hoping my body will adjust and it will start coming off soon. If not, then I'll re-evaluate.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Hmm, you know, it started me out at 1280, and then when I lost around 25 lbs it adjusted it to 1200. I know I can always set it to lose at a slower rate (i.e., 1 lb/week) but I thought I'd reserve that til I got slightly closer to goal weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

:tongue:
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I usually up by 100 at a time and give it a few weeks to see what happens. I never lost eating 1200 a day (this was before I was on here) and eventually found 1500-1700 was my sweet spot. Of course now I'm nursing and it's a whole new game, but I actually just upped by 100 this week because I haven't lost since I decreased my intake about a month ago. For me personally more has always done more for me than less!
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I usually up by 100 at a time and give it a few weeks to see what happens. I never lost eating 1200 a day (this was before I was on here) and eventually found 1500-1700 was my sweet spot. Of course now I'm nursing and it's a whole new game, but I actually just upped by 100 this week because I haven't lost since I decreased my intake about a month ago. For me personally more has always done more for me than less!

Agreed, Add 100 and see how that goes for a couple weeks.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I experimented a little with different amounts of calories and found that my optimal daily caloric intake is 1400-1500 calories plus exercise calories. Since February I've had a difficult time losing more weight and it's been frustrating. I'm just now getting back to the gym after about a month off. Hopefully that gets things going again!

But, if you're struggling right now don't cause yourself more stress. Increase your calories by 200-300, whatever your need to feel comfortable without going over your maintenance amount. You may gain a little, you may not. If you do, it won't be much. Do what you need to do, don't worry about calorie goals while you get through whatever is stressing you out.
  • Nemlein
    Options

Hahahahaha, ladyhawke, I was expecting you to get in on this soon :wink:

Thanks, I must have missed that post, I will take a good look at it!
    ... And as always, I'm humbled by your in-depth knowledge :flowerforyou:
  • Nemlein
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!!
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

BTW, just for clarification - MFP will prompt you to recalculate your goals at certain points if you are using guided goals (it does NOT do this if you are using custom goals though.) However, you have to think of this in two ways. If you just tell it to recalculate, it will lower your cal goal slightly to account for your lower weight because as you lose weight your BMR will be lower. But YOU still have to know when it's appropriate to change your loss per week goals and/or activity levels. It will never lower those for you - it just prompts you to adjust goals in a general sense and compensates for lower BMR.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Hahahahaha, ladyhawke, I was expecting you to get in on this soon :wink:

Thanks, I must have missed that post, I will take a good look at it!
    ... And as always, I'm humbled by your in-depth knowledge :flowerforyou:

:laugh: Can't let ya down! :wink:

Hope it helps... if not, feel free to ask if you have any questions. :bigsmile: