need detailed help here people

Options
Ok, so, I am trying hard to do this new eating right and exercising thing the "right" way... or as close as I can. I need advice on how you guys would track your exercise if you were me.

I am allowed 1960 calories a day right now with a projected weight loss of 1 lb per week although I'm losing it much faster (8 lbs in 3.5 weeks). The only exercise I get besides random walks when the weather allows, is playing Kinect Sports on the XBOX 360. I usually play for about an hour while my babies take naps.

However there is no way to track this activity so I just put aerobics low impact for about 20-30 minutes (since I'm not in motion the whole time, I take a few minutes here and there to switch mini games or to pick a different aspect of the game to play). Doing this tells me I'm burning roughly 200-300 calories so I track that, and try to eat it back like I should.

Here is my concern though, am I rounding too far down on my calories burned estimations? I round down because I'm worried about thinking I've burned too many calories and then unknowingly going over my goal for the day. ALSO though, I am worried I'm estimating too low and so I'm not eating back enough calories and could be causing myself to go into starvation mode which is NOT what I want. What should I do?

Also, I think this website calculates just a little too high for normal everyday things like walking carrying a baby, or cleaning the house... so usually if I clean light, moderate level, i don't even track it. I mean, how high is your heart rate actually getting just cleaning your house or folding laundry? Seriously? So I don't even bother. I'm too afraid I'll think I burned 800 calories from cleaning and then end up eating way too much.

I know the real answer here is get a HRM so I don't wonder anymore... but I can't get one for a while yet... so I need an idea of what you guys would do in my shoes?

Replies

• carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would say... do what you're doing while you are getting results. If you start to plateau, then maybe re-examine a few things... Sounds to me like you are doing a fine job with the tools you have. Well done.
  • amyelizabethrn75
    Options
    I have the same problem with using specific exercise DVDs and I always feel that the calories burned is way TOO high. I hope someone has a brilliant answer to this problem.... otherwise I guess I will be getting the HR monitor as well! Keep up the great work!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    omg..you people.

there is NOTHING...NO rules that says you MUST eat back calories..

your are lose so fast now, because we all lose fast at first.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    omg..you people.

ok.....? so you advice to the original post would be what? because it sounds like you have none.
    just saying.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    omg..you people.

WOW
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    omg..you people.

I have to disagree. No rules, just logic. Mainly for people who have their daily caloric intake set at 1200, obviously if you eat 2000 calories a day and burn 500 and only eat 100 back ( a net of 1600) - you will likely not go into starvation mode). But I digress...

Anyway, to answer the original question. I think you are safe to "underestimate" your exercise calories. With your daily intake @ 1900 you are likely far from heading into starvation mode, esp. if you are eating back your estimated exercise calories. Good job on your progress thus far! Keep up the good work!

And yes, get a HRM when you can. I highly recommend the Timex Zone Trainer (reviews on Amazon.com)
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why people respond to posts when they not only have nothing effective to say, but also seem to have misunderstood the entire point of the discussed topic. If you don't get it, then don't bother. If you don't have anything to bring to the table that will help anyone with their issue then why on earth would you waste our time.

Well I guess i'll just get HRM and go from there.
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i think what u are doing is great not sure about the rude post but oh well brush it off. i think that since ur daily goal is 1900 u are nowhere near going into starvation mode unless ur burning more then 800 cals consistently and not eating them back
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I definitely judge my calories higher then I think if unsure and exercise lower than some sources. I don't have a HRM either and lost 20# in 4 weeks, the first 12# in the first 8 days. So yes weight loss is almost always higher during the first weeks.

I would continue what you are doing unless you are feeling poorly; dizzy, always hungry and the such. I am sure those babies keep your heart rate up most of the time ;)
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your frustration. When I started, my goal was set to 1.5 lbs/week, and I estimated everything, serving sizes and calories burned. I was losing pretty steadily at a rate of 2 lbs/week that way. Then I got an HRM and a food scale. Then my weight loss significantly slowed down. I'm not saying it was the HRM or the food scale, but what I'm trying to point out is that estimating is going to work to some extent, especially if your calorie goal is fairly high and you have a lot to lose. The problems with eating too little come when you have less to lose or you're exercising excessively (creating too much of a deficit either way). If your estimations are close, you'll be fine. The HRM is a good idea, but if what you're doing is working, keep it up! Great job so far!