anyone taking Alli????

Options
So I was briefly looking into taking Alli since it is suppose to be safe and the FDA approved it . I was curious to know it someone is taking it and if it has helped?

It says to take it along with a low fat diet which I am currently on and exercise which I am currently doing. It is suppose to possibly double your success.

Well please let me know what you think!!!!! I am going to go for a walk and hopefully when I get back someone can give me some advice!!!!!!

Replies

• runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So I was briefly looking into taking Alli since it is suppose to be safe and the FDA approved it . I was curious to know it someone is taking it and if it has helped?

It says to take it along with a low fat diet which I am currently on and exercise which I am currently doing. It is suppose to possibly double your success.

Well please let me know what you think!!!!! I am going to go for a walk and hopefully when I get back someone can give me some advice!!!!!!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options

I would rather lose the weight alittle slower then worry about "accidents" and having to carry around a spare set of clothing just in case. JMHO
  • tilly6277
    tilly6277 Posts: 202
    Options
    I know someone who is taking it and I don't get to see them much anymore because they spend all their time in the bathroom! :sick:
  • RhondaV
    RhondaV Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not Alli, but I've taken Zenical, the prescription form for the same thing. I only had positive results with it - no accidents or any of the other gross stuff you hear about. HOWEVER, you definitely will have problems if you don't eat LOW FAT foods. It is a fat blocker, so guess where the blocked fat goes...... It is a tool, not something you take so that you can eat fatty foods. Just my opinion & my MD's, but hope it helps.
  • runawaybride
    Options
    I did read about some people having those bathroom problems. But some did not and I guess my thought was that if I am already sticking with a low fat diet should I have any problems? I am almost the last person on earth that would consider taking a so called diet pill but this one is suppose to be safe so that is why I asked.

Thanks for your opinions and feel free to leave more!!!!!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    No, but I personally wouldn't take it. A nurse practitioner at work was taking it only to wake up covered in orange oil from bellybutton to knees! I don't think anyone would have taken the bottle for free after hearing about how she'd leaked in her sleep!
  • runawaybride
    Options
    OMG for real that is awful.

Thanks so much for all your posts this is one reason I had to ask.....never would do any other pill with all their known side affects and now knowing this is really an eye opener and how nothing is worth that.

keep leaving posts
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    You get the same hang ups with Alli as you get with any weight loss medication. What happens when you stop? The human metabolism is SMART. It uses lower brain function. When you adjust your body chemistry, it takes that into account. After a while, it will compensate for less fat by doing other things. When you stop, it will take a while to go back to normal, during that adjustment phase, bad things can happen (I.E. excessive gain). It's almost universal that people who take medication or go on restrictive diets gain back the weight and usually more.

I'm not saying don't take it. Just this:
    In most cases, you don't need a pill or a "diet" to lose weight and become healthier, you just need patience, persistance, and the desire to do so. I'm all about changing your habits and lifestyle so that you are forever more healthy. that way, there is never that adjustment period after.
  • runawaybride
    Options
    You get the same hang ups with Alli as you get with any weight loss medication. What happens when you stop? The human metabolism is SMART. It uses lower brain function. When you adjust your body chemistry, it takes that into account. After a while, it will compensate for less fat by doing other things. When you stop, it will take a while to go back to normal, during that adjustment phase, bad things can happen (I.E. excessive gain). It's almost universal that people who take medication or go on restrictive diets gain back the weight and usually more.

I'm not saying don't take it. Just this:
    In most cases, you don't need a pill or a "diet" to lose weight and become healthier, you just need patience, persistance, and the desire to do so. I'm all about changing your habits and lifestyle so that you are forever more healthy. that way, there is never that adjustment period after.

Thanks for your advice and I understand perfectly what you are saying. Knowing what I know now and the advice given I am certain I won't be taking this pill and glad I got this very helpful feedback. I guess deep down I kinda knew it was probably to good to be true. So I will just continue my journey and when I reach my destination I will know I did it the best way possible and it WON'T come back!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    GOOD for you girl! That's the kind of stuff that makes this site awesome!:smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    No, but I personally wouldn't take it. A nurse practitioner at work was taking it only to wake up covered in orange oil from bellybutton to knees! I don't think anyone would have taken the bottle for free after hearing about how she'd leaked in her sleep!

What do you mean, "covered in orange oil"? :noway: :sick: :frown:
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I did read about some people having those bathroom problems. But some did not and I guess my thought was that if I am already sticking with a low fat diet should I have any problems? I am almost the last person on earth that would consider taking a so called diet pill but this one is suppose to be safe so that is why I asked.

Thanks for your opinions and feel free to leave more!!!!!

If you are going to follow a low fat diet and watch your overall calorie intake then you don't need a diet pill or gimmick. The weight will come off the old fashioned way!
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options

What do you mean, "covered in orange oil"? :noway: :sick: :frown:

Um, anal leakage, to be blunt. Nasty, huh? It was all the unabsorbed fat "waiting" to come out. I guess it had a mind of its own! hehe
  • RhondaV
    RhondaV Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is so nasty - and almost unbelievable - what the heck was she eating?
  • banks1850
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, if it has fat in it, it'll come out when you use a fat blocker.

One thing to note about these pills, and I have done some pretty exhausting research on these (if people want it, I can look up the sources again, I have em around here somewhere), is that they don't make a huge difference even if you use them correctly. They help a little. The average based on clinical studies for Xenical (the stronger version, perscription only) is 6 lbs per year. So at about 1/2 strength you can expect less. that's (at the most) 1/2 a lb per month people. Tell ya what, 1/16th of a pound per week is 560 calories. Do an extra 45 minutes of moderate physical activity a week and you will acheive the same (or better) results. OR shave off about 25 calories a day and do an extra 1/2 hour exercise at about 70% heart rate and you will achieve the same results.

Add to that the fact that it doesn't descriminate between saturated and unsaturated fats and you are looking at some pretty serious changes in your body chemistry for a measilly 1/2 lb per month weight loss. At that rate it would take almost 2 years on this plan (and a TON of cash paid out for it) to even see a minor change in your appearance. I just don't think it's worth it.

read this article for a little more expert knowledge.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030
  • ErinRNinMaine
    Options
    That is so nasty - and almost unbelievable - what the heck was she eating?

He he! Who knows? Probably just oil colored by other "stuff". I just started a new job in the endoscopy dept. I've seen some funky colors in those colons! lol
  • vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    you know what's interesting is they claim in order for Alli to work, you have to journal all your calories and excercise, following the normal weight loss guidelines. sound familiar? I seriously doubt the pill is what's causing these people to lose weight. They're just finally doing what they needed to do.

And yes, I tried it. I was SO sick. :ohwell:

There is no magic pill.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I will confess....
    I like eating my fat too much for it to be blocked....is that bad?:laugh: