Drinking water at work

Options
Crystal817
Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
I don't drink nearly enough water. I work a 12 hour shift and other than breaks, my water has to come out of the drinking fountain. It totally grosses me out. So in between breaks, I hardly drink anything.

Should I just suck it up (pun intended) and drink out of the water fountain? I need some motivation here... lol

***I'm not alowed to have a water bottle in my work area.

Replies

• Zakth
    Zakth Posts: 37
    Options
    Can you take a bottle of water with you? They now make fairly cheap bottles that have a built-in filter. If you can take a bottle then get one of those and fill it from the fountain then at least the water is filtered.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think you need to suck it up. But you should get a container like a big Nalgene bottle to fill up from the fountain so you don't have to walk over there every few minutes. If the water doesn't taste good maybe you can add some flavoring. A lot of people here seem to swear by crystal light.
  • Crystal817
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned... no water bottles allowed. :(
  • beautifulmonstr
    Options
    Is there any way you could bring a water bottle and keep it near you? And during breaks you could refill it. Other than that, water fountains aren't THAT bad.. as long as you don't touch your mouth to the spigot or anything.

Edit: Oops, didn't see post about no water bottles allowed. That's dumb. But in that case I think you should suck it up and drink from the fountain. Drinking plenty of water is THE most important thing you can do for your health.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't drink from water fountains either. They make cups that will filter the water but can't remember what store I saw the product, if you don't want to buy bottle water.
  • Crystal817
    Options
    Other than that, water fountains aren't THAT bad.. as long as you don't touch your mouth to the spigot or anything.

Sometimes (not always) there is gum or spit in the drain. :grumble:
    And on that note...I'm taking a little walk to the water fountain....
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (not always) there is gum or spit in the drain. :grumble:

lol that's gross
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't drink nearly enough water. I work a 12 hour shift and other than breaks, my water has to come out of the drinking fountain. It totally grosses me out. So in between breaks, I hardly drink anything.

Should I just suck it up (pun intended) and drink out of the water fountain? I need some motivation here... lol

***I'm not alowed to have a water bottle in my work area.

ya we aren't either but i think that's shiete. so i never really listen because i work a crap retail job and they already take most of our rights away and pay nothing. I think I'm lucky that my boss doesn't seem to care much though... and thats kind of awesome she lets us take water breaks makes it better being there ... but... never drink out of the fountain its disgusting! just ... try to drink more on breaks to compensate or ask for breaks for water.
  • Crystal817
    Options
    or ask for breaks for water.

Some people get smoke breaks, I guess I should be allowed water breaks. :tongue:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    is there a health or safety reason why you cannot have water at your desk (eg you work in a lab with chemicals or with electrical equipment) if not talk to your superviser...

or alternatively - a camelbak drinking system on your back- water at your disposal and technically not a water bottle :-)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    they can not legally deny you water or access to water.
    i bet if you asked they'd allow you to have a water bottle..there is no way legally they can deny you access to water. except on breaks
  • maygans
    Options
    they can not legally deny you water or access to water.
    i bet if you asked they'd allow you to have a water bottle..there is no way legally they can deny you access to water. except on breaks

They're not, she has access to a water fountain.
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    I can't have water in my work area either, so I keep a big bottle in the break room (or sometimes storage room- it's closer and not REALLY a work area) Are you able to do anything like that?
  • Crystal817
    Options
    is there a health or safety reason why you cannot have water at your desk (eg you work in a lab with chemicals or with electrical equipment) if not talk to your superviser...

I work in a cleanroom, so unfortunately there are vaild reasons for not allowing us to have water bottles. Although I believe if you get a doctors note, you might be able to have special permission.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Wow...I thought my work was run by nazis.

I have no solution, but I feel much better about my job now!
  • Crystal817
    Options
    No water AND no snacks. It's tough. :grumble:
  • maygans
    Options

Although the no snack thing must be good for staying within your calorie limits for the day!
  • Crystal817
    Options

Although the no snack thing must be good for staying within your calorie limits for the day!

It is. But by the time break rolls around I am hungry enough to eat a small hippo.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options

It is. But by the time break rolls around I am hungry enough to eat a small hippo.

Hippos live in water right? I think I've found a way to kill two birds with one stone...
  • Crystal817
    Options
    Haha. I think even half a hippo would put me over my calorie limit for the day. :laugh: