KETTLE BELL WORKOUT HELP!?!?!?

Options
I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW MANY CALORIES KETTLE BELL WORKOUTS BURN PER MINUTE. I NEED TO FIGURE IT OUT SO I CAN TRACK MY CALORIES FOR THIS WORKOUT.

I HAVE COME ACROSS ABOUT 8 DIFFERENT WEBSITES THAT SAY THE KBELL WORKOUTS BURN 20 CALORIES PER MINUTE BUT THAT SEAMS OUTRAGEOUS AND I DONT KNOW IF I BELIEVE THAT. BUT EVEN WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE SAYS THE SAME THING. IM JUST NOT SURE.

IF ANYONE HAS THE ANSWER OR KNOWS WHERE I CAN FIND IT THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

THANKS MUCH!!
ANG

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Without your height and weight and the weight of the kettle bell it wold be hard to help and any suggestions would still be very inaccurate. Without a HRM it's hard to tell. Maybe you could average the highest, middle and lowest figures you found as a guide?
  • themsbauer
    themsbauer Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and 180. I don't know how to figure any of that out. I just saw what a bunch of different articles and a study by a doctor and it said 20 Cal's a minute. I wish I knew if that was true
  • themsbauer
    Options
    My kettle is 4 pounds. Highest I found was 20 Cal's a minute so 400 cal for 29 minutes. Middle was 300cal/2o minute. Lowest found was 279cal/20 minutes. So I almost not sure
  • MOM2SWEETNESSx3
    MOM2SWEETNESSx3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    With such a light weight KB I doubt you'd be burning 20 cals a min. It also depends on the exercises your doing for the time your working out. Your best bet would to go buy a HRM to get an accurate count. I'm 5'7" and 137 with a 12kg KB I burn around 375cals in a 30 min session on average according to my my HRM.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have two kettle bell videos that I do from time to time and I love them, but I don't find that they burn mega calories. I do a Gin Miller dvd and Shred it With Weights level 1 and burn about 4 cals per minute according to my HRM. I use a 10# bell. I'm 166 and about 5'5", also much older than you which could lower the calorie burn.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thats a small weight for kettle bells but its better to get the technique right first!

I often mean to use my hrm while training on it but always worry the kettle bell will smash the screen !

with the right weight its an intense work out, I would go with the lower limit calorie burnage for you, at the moment
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I did what I refer to as kettlebell "intervals last night for 15 minutes. This involved alternating arm swings (30 reps @ 35 lbs) followed by 30 seconds of speed jumping jacks followed by 2 arm swings (20 reps @ 55 lbs) followed by 30 seconds of speed jump rope....15 second water break, repeat 3x's in 15 minutes. I burned under 300 calories for this workout and my calorie burns tend to be high.
  • themsbauer
    Options
    I have the kettlenetics DVD that I do. Its 40 minutes of nonstop moving, swinging, squat, and everything else u can think of. I know I don't burn 20 Cal's a minute but it would b nice. I guess I could put what I burn on the elliptical which is 10 a minute l. At least that is what the machine says. Even if I have am HRM I wouldn't know what to do with it. How to figure any of those calculations