How long before anything starts to happen??

Options
I started running nearly 5 months ago and am now running about 25 miles per week in varying amounts. I'm mixing up my calories so that no day is ever the same and yet I have not lost any weight nor have I lost any inches. Short of actually starving myself I'm seriously stuck in a rut. I'm 5" 5' and weigh 128 pounds. My goal is to get to 122 pounds. It's not much really in the whole scheme of things, so why I am I struggling so much??? Am I setting realistic goals or should I just be accepting this is me?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    that seems awfully thin for height.
    i am 5'2" and around 120..and i feel too thin.

remember the smaller you are the harder it is lose weight.
  • ChrissyParis270974
    ChrissyParis270974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Even if I were to lose 2 pounds, it would be something. But nothing is shifting. How do you figure out what is right for you?
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your bmi is currently (5"5', 128) 21.3, the most ideal bmi for someone to have is 22, once you start getting far below that it gets unhealthy.

You're perfectly fine and it's so hard for you to lose weight, probably because there's hardly anything on your body that you still can lose. In my opinion, stop trying, you're not supposed to be losing weight.

That doesn't mean you can't eat healthy and shape up a bit of course, but if it's just for shaping up and not losing weight, you're better off doing strength exercises that train the muscles in specific parts of your body. And remember, muscles weigh more than fat, so you could be shaping up in certain areas without losing weight. Either way it looks like your goal should be to shape up with strength exercises, rather than to lose more weight.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Something has happened - You're in shape!! Do you have any before and after photos? I bet you gained a lot of lean muscle mass in the time since you started running. On the inside, your heart is healthier, your lungs are healthier, and your brain is pumping some great endorphins.

I'm 5'5" looking to gain up closer to your weight.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    In the nicest possible way - you're already tiny so maybe you want to re-think your goal. Could you focus on inch loss rather than actual weight?

Plus, running 25 miles per week is very extreme, are you eating enough?
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Also, if MFP is not working for you, you should discuss your goals with a doctor. It is possible you're eating too much, not enough, exercising too much, not enough... A doctor will know.
  • ChrissyParis270974
    ChrissyParis270974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe I have become fixated on the weight and not the bigger picture. I never thought to take before and after pictures or even take any measurements. I just went for the scales. Probably the wrong thing to do in hindsight. Maybe should try to shift my focus.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Maybe I have become fixated on the weight and not the bigger picture. I never thought to take before and after pictures or even take any measurements. I just went for the scales. Probably the wrong thing to do in hindsight. Maybe should try to shift my focus.

You may well have lost weight as in lost fat but replaced fat with muscle. If your body is resisting this much I think maybe you should listen to your body. Try and get your body fat % measured, ...at your height and weight I think that would be the biggest and best indicator of your progress and achievement
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Honey, I think it's clear you aren't losing weight because you're in fantastic shape. You don't need to lose weight and the only way you could lose at this point would be to starve yourself and lose muscle mass. You run 25 miles a week - that's amazing! Be happy with yourself. Be proud of what you've done and then maintain it.
  • Sallerina84
    Sallerina84 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started running nearly 5 months ago and am now running about 25 miles per week in varying amounts. I'm mixing up my calories so that no day is ever the same and yet I have not lost any weight nor have I lost any inches. Short of actually starving myself I'm seriously stuck in a rut. I'm 5" 5' and weigh 128 pounds. My goal is to get to 122 pounds. It's not much really in the whole scheme of things, so why I am I struggling so much??? Am I setting realistic goals or should I just be accepting this is me?

you don't need to lose weight! I'd say you're on the lighter side and should probably gain a couple of pounds to be your ideal weight.

If you're not losing inches, you may have none to lose!

And you're also probably gaining muscle mass so if you did have fat to lose, it'd be being replaced by muscle, so no weight difference.