I DONT want to gain muscle

Options
Is there any way to exercise and NOT gain muscle? I do a lot of walking and running, and my calves are massive! Its just muscle, there's no fat. I want to get rid of if if possible or at least not gain any more... Any advise?

Replies

• DaniiDean
    DaniiDean Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I want to know this :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Lower weights/resistance, more reps.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

BINGO, I agree with this post :) good luck
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    But I dont do any weights... its just walking and running, and just started insanity, but it cant be that cz its only second day...
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump. i love my legs but my calves are getting pretty big and i find it's getting harder to find skinny jeans that fit.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and the only thing I have found even half useful is to switch your exercise around loads to use muscle groups for not very long at a time. A big problem people in our situation often have seems to be that when doing really low resistance cardio, it can take forever to feel like a worthwhile workout.
    The advice I have got is to do stuff like yoga which keeps your muscles in good condition but is obviously not the same kind of conditioning as running/gym work. Now I am trying to find upper body cardio-style exercises but without much luck.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    when I don't stretch enough my calves bulge
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    But I dont do any weights... its just walking and running, and just started insanity, but it cant be that cz its only second day...

i think McCay is saying that is a good way to work out without bulking them up anymore. I don't think they meant that is why your calves are bulky. It's almost necessary to do some weight training as muscle will burn much more calories even at rest mode. So, to prevent them from getting bigger do more time/reps and less weight/resistance. Like if you are on elliptical, put your resistance down and stay on longer. As far as why they are already like that, I'd say it's probably in your genes. i have had bouts of utter laziness (couch sitting and tv watching lol) and my calves were hard and big then as well. I have the same problem and don't think there's much you can do about it. The only way to really lose that muscle now would probably be unhealthy. If you diet to the extreme you are losing any muscle, I can't imagine it's very good for your body.
  • zenzoes
    zenzoes Posts: 187
    Options
    when I don't stretch enough my calves bulge

/Agree
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Some of it may just be your body type but I would suggest adding in some yoga and stretching. If you do power yoga or pilates, you can still get quality cardio and get some nice stretching in without focus on building calf muscles.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Some of it may just be your body type but I would suggest adding in some yoga and stretching. If you do power yoga or pilates, you can still get quality cardio and get some nice stretching in without focus on building calf muscles.
    I think I'll start doing yoga... I heard there are some pretty good cardio-yoga workouts out there... Gotta check it out... I stretch before my insanity workout, but never before walking/running... I'll start doing that as well... thanks for the advice
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    same here, I already started incorporating yoga into my routine (the p90x one) but this just gives me more reason to not give in. Thanks!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    When I started running I used to get huge calves, but then I adjusted my running style. If you land on your heel, try landing on your mid- or fore-foot. Google POSE Running or Chi Running. It'll help prevent injury too.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There's no hard and fast rule unfortunately, it could just be your genetics.

The advice in here is good though,
    - stick to low intensity, long duration exercise in that area if you're going to do any at all.
    - stretch, lots (remember, hold a stretch for at least 35s and repeat 3 times, any less and it won't work)

As I say though, you may not see much improvement, if it's in your genes to have tanky calves then you're going to have them forever. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Give me a girl with muscular legs over stick thin ones any day of the week.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    yoga, pilates, and UPPER BODY weight lifting. If you balance out the upper with the lower a bit, you'll look more proportioned, leaner, stronger, and have a higher metabolism because muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.