Calorie Goal

floss28
floss28 Posts: 3
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
I have not been under my calorie goal since I started! Any suggestions on low calorie yummy food :)

Replies

• BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    I like luna bars.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    It can be a big step to change your calorie intake - one place to start is to look at portion sizes. Depending on what you are eating now, you might be able to eat less (of pasta or rice for example) or to cut out/down on dressings, sides etc.
    Also, have a look at your snacks, and cut down the quantities of these, or replace them with an apple, almonds (about 10 at a time) or other healthy options.

For recipes - I've just discovered a cool magazine with some great recipes, but I'm in Australia, so you might not be able to get it, but you can check out their website:
    http://www.healthyfoodguide.com.au/
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    If you set your profile settings so everyone can see your food diary, I expect you'll find people can give some good targeted advice.

It's a bit difficult if we don't really have an idea what you're eating and how much of it.

Wishing you all the best.
    Jonathan.
  • jclji4
    jclji4 Posts: 118 Member
    Vegan red beans and rice, smothered cabbage using liquid smoke, I snack on yogurt and air popped pop corn, granola bars, a cup of strawberries sliced with 2 tsp of sugar, or cool whip, mixed fruit like coconut, grapes, cherries, manderines mixed with cool whip and slivered almonds, quinoa salad, spinach salad with boiled shrimp and lump crab meat, tomatoes, onion, pecan slivers, boiled egg, cucumber and balsamic vinigarette....smothered greens, wendy's small chilli and a smoothie with 1/2 cup pineapple, one mango and 1/4 cup of oj with a couple of ice cubes......hope this helps.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    you can be over your calorie goal daily and still lose weight. MFP built in a 500-1000 calorie deficit into your goal, so if 2500 was your maintenance cals and you said 2 lbs per week, it tells you to eat 1500. so if you ate 2000 instead of 1500, you would still lose 1 lb per week, just not 2. Just remember you have that buffer there and just don't go "in the red" by more than a couple hundred and you'll still be ok.
    Not saying you shouldn't work on finding healthier snacks, just saying you probably haven't completely screwed up! :flowerforyou:
  • floss28
    floss28 Posts: 3
    Ive opened my food diary up to everyone, its a bot shocking!!! What is a luna bar?
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    maybe just dont eat as much
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    ok, so here's the harsh reality...

I don't know if you're just not tracking it all, or not drinking it, but first step is to drink at LEAST 8 cups of water a day, this will help you feel fuller and you'll snack less.

Second, you should probably NOT be at 1200 cals a day for your goal. Redo your goals. Choose something higher than sedentary for your activity level and then choose ONE pound per week as your loss goal. You are not obese and therefore don't need to lose 2 lbs per week. Go with 1 lb a week and see what it tells you to eat.

Next, TRACK SODIUM. Stay under 2500mg a day. Sodium makes you retain water and feel bloated, especially if you're not drinking at least your 8 a day. Then the scale won't go down and you'll be discouraged, but it's just water weight! Eat less sodium and drink more water to flush it out!

Also, track FIBER. and set it to 25g a day, and GET there. This will ensure you are eating the "good" carbs, and not the "white" breads, pastas, and rice...the brown ones are where the fiber is. VEGGIES have fiber too. I don't see any fresh veggies in there....

Raise your protein percentage until it is approximately 1g for every lb of your goal weight, this will lower your fat and carbs a bit. Protein makes you feel fuller and protects your lean muscle. Choose lean meats, mainly poultry, fish, and seafood, over fatty cuts of beef or pork. Eggs and milk are also excellent sources of protein.

Make sure your fats are coming from "good fats". Olive oil, nuts, avocado, peanut butter, etc.
    Aim for ZERO g of Trans Fat per day. Trans fats are most commonly found in pastries and cakes and such. Read labels. If something contains something "hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" then that is usually referring to the trans fats. Put it back on the shelf and buy something else.

If you do all these things, I guarantee you will feel satisfied on 1200-1500 cals, will feel healthier and more energetic, and will lose the weight easier (without starving yourself).
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    As was previously stated...WATER! Drink at least your 8 cups daily (if not more). Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.