Your opinion on HRM total calories burned??

2»

Replies

• TekkyGeek
    TekkyGeek Posts: 3 Member
    I turn mine on when I start working out and turn it off when I am done. i know people here are saying that you should subtract your BMR to be accurate, but then again there is a burn post workout that continues for a while after you stop exercising. That effect is additional to your BMR, and should/could be added to your workout calories if you were trying to be 100% accurate.

The way I figure it, it all works out in the end, so I don't bother subtracting BMR from my workout.

Also some of the more advanced HRMs have different formulas that they use to calculate calories burned. They take into account the standard age, height, weight, but then factor in VO2 Max, fitness levels, body composition, and other factors that will affect your calories expended.

The fitter you are, generally the more calories (efficiently) you will burn than someone who is less fit but is working at the same heart rate. It is also a lot harder (as you get fitter) to get your heart rate to those higher levels than when you were less fit. All of this comes into play when trying to calculate calories.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.