I"ve been faithful!!!!

Options
I have been sooo faithful to this for over a month now, counting every calorie, (only going over daily calorie intake 4 times) working out 3 or more times a week for 30 or more minutes per workout. I have not seen any real results...I keep going up and down? I have a very active job, I should be losing pounds just by working. (I'm a Veterinary Technician) But I have been faithful...working out even while my head is pounding and I'm coughing up lungs. I hate this, I hate killing myself with nothing to show for it...my clothes are still tight, my scale still torments me. I have more energy, and I feel alittle better, but I'm seeing no tangable evidence...even my husband says..."you look the same to me, whatever your doing is NOT working" Okay...sorry, I just really needed to vent...I"m better now I think...

Please tell me...when did you all start seeing results? I'm getting extremely discouraged here!!!!

Replies

• roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    I have been sooo faithful to this for over a month now, counting every calorie, (only going over daily calorie intake 4 times) working out 3 or more times a week for 30 or more minutes per workout. I have not seen any real results...I keep going up and down? I have a very active job, I should be losing pounds just by working. (I'm a Veterinary Technician) But I have been faithful...working out even while my head is pounding and I'm coughing up lungs. I hate this, I hate killing myself with nothing to show for it...my clothes are still tight, my scale still torments me. I have more energy, and I feel alittle better, but I'm seeing no tangable evidence...even my husband says..."you look the same to me, whatever your doing is NOT working" Okay...sorry, I just really needed to vent...I"m better now I think...

Please tell me...when did you all start seeing results? I'm getting extremely discouraged here!!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Faster then that usually, which makes me wonder if maybe you need to adjust your goals.
    What are your numbers, if we know them, we may be able to see something off.

by numbers I mean, height, weight, activity level and what your normal eating schedule is.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....eating work out cals?
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hello, I really didn't see any results until after 2 months as far as the scale moving, but I did notice subtle changes here in there gradually in how my clothes fit, they just started to feel looser, even though the scale was not moving, next thing I knew I had lost 9 lbs. Maybe like said before double check all your goals and hang in there for a while longer, I know you can do it.
  • sclosson
    sclosson Posts: 120
    Options
    Please try not to get too discouraged. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for your body to get the clue. Are you tracking EVERYTHING. I find that sometimes I want to think that those little bites don't count. But then again, you can't be too rigid.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    I fiddled with MFP since may, however I was soooo not as faithful as you are.

I knuckled down though the first part of July, since my fiance would be in training and I wanted to see some results before he came home.

I've only lost 6 lbs but I can look in the mirror and see a difference. I tone up pretty fast...but I've been working my butt off since the first week of July.

I also just tweaked my goals, cause I always felt starving on the automatic calories generated. Asked around got some opinions and decided to up it a little.

You can do this. It took me 2 months basically to lose 6lbs (more because of my weaknesses not the sites support).

Are you doing this for you or for others to notice?
  • smalla
    smalla Posts: 11
    Options
    Take a good (honest) look at your workout program and your eating habits. You might be fooling yourself that you are being good. My friend and her sister swore they were eating right and working out regularly for over 6 months, but weren't seeing any results. They got frustrated and quit. Then my friend started over with a new workout partner and really changed her eating habits and really started working out (not just going through the motions). She lost close to 30 pounds in 6 months. She stopped snacking after dinner and cut back on alcohol and fast food. Find a workout partner who is a little more advanced than you to work out with - that will keep you motivated and make you feel guilty if you feel like slacking or not showing up :wink: . The best nutrition plan I have found was in the book "Bodybuilding Bible for Women" - shows you exactly what to eat (i.e. protein, fibrous carbs, starchy carbs, fats, etc.), how much to eat and when to eat it so that you are not overeating and so that your metabolism is cranked all day.

Don't give up - nobody said it was going to be easy :smile: - but you can do it - you just have to want it bad enough. Good luck!
  • roshong06
    Options

NO...I never eat my workout cals...by the end of a usual day, I have about 900 cals left, including my workout cals...I eat about 1200-1500 cals a day...I'm allowed 1860. I really watch what I eat...my numbers are 5'6 tall, 223 lbs. (I'm guessing thats what you meant by numbers?) I
  • roshong06
    Options
    Please try not to get too discouraged. Sometimes it takes a bit of time for your body to get the clue. Are you tracking EVERYTHING. I find that sometimes I want to think that those little bites don't count. But then again, you can't be too rigid.

I track EVERYTHING THAT ENTERS MY MOUTH!!! Even those little bites of the kids pbj sandwich...I even count when I can't control myself and I lick the butter knife after making a pbj sandwich for the kids...I don't know what else to do!
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

NO...I never eat my workout cals...by the end of a usual day, I have about 900 cals left, including my workout cals...I eat about 1200-1500 cals a day...I'm allowed 1860. I really watch what I eat...my numbers are 5'6 tall, 223 lbs. (I'm guessing thats what you meant by numbers?) I

They say it's VERY important to eat those calories, most if not all, because you need them to keep your body from thinking it's starving from all the activity it's doing.
  • breyegrl
    breyegrl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Change your goal. I have been "motivated" by the scales for too long. Now, I am not watching the scale as much as I am my fitness routine. Find a workout video that you cannot finish - set a goal for how far you want to be able to run - decide how many miles you want to be able to walk in 30 minutes and then focus on THAT goal while recording and maintaining a reduced calorie diet. It makes a workout seem to have more purpose (rather than just changing the number on the scale).

Then celebrate. Maybe the pounds aren't falling off the scales as you want but the day you can run two straight miles without stopping for the very first time- that feels good.

Hang in there!
  • roshong06
    Options
    I fiddled with MFP since may, however I was soooo not as faithful as you are.

I knuckled down though the first part of July, since my fiance would be in training and I wanted to see some results before he came home.

I've only lost 6 lbs but I can look in the mirror and see a difference. I tone up pretty fast...but I've been working my butt off since the first week of July.

I also just tweaked my goals, cause I always felt starving on the automatic calories generated. Asked around got some opinions and decided to up it a little.

You can do this. It took me 2 months basically to lose 6lbs (more because of my weaknesses not the sites support).

Are you doing this for you or for others to notice?

Well, my husband noticing me for a change would def be a bonus, but I am very much doing this for me...I really just want to look in the mirror and not be sick to my stomache. I want to be a healthy role model for my kids. I want to stop worrying about illnesses that come from being over weight. I really want this more than anything. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself to be this hard on myself and be this unhappy with nothing to show for it.
  • roshong06
    Options
    Take a good (honest) look at your workout program and your eating habits. You might be fooling yourself that you are being good. My friend and her sister swore they were eating right and working out regularly for over 6 months, but weren't seeing any results. They got frustrated and quit. Then my friend started over with a new workout partner and really changed her eating habits and really started working out (not just going through the motions). She lost close to 30 pounds in 6 months. She stopped snacking after dinner and cut back on alcohol and fast food. Find a workout partner who is a little more advanced than you to work out with - that will keep you motivated and make you feel guilty if you feel like slacking or not showing up :wink: . The best nutrition plan I have found was in the book "Bodybuilding Bible for Women" - shows you exactly what to eat (i.e. protein, fibrous carbs, starchy carbs, fats, etc.), how much to eat and when to eat it so that you are not overeating and so that your metabolism is cranked all day.

Don't give up - nobody said it was going to be easy :smile: - but you can do it - you just have to want it bad enough. Good luck!

That makes sense...maybe I think I"m eating good, but I'm not...I will re evaluate my plans...Thank you, I hope your right, and I'm not just destined to be fat...LOL.
  • pack533
    pack533 Posts: 224
    Options

You are the same height and the same weight that I started on this site at. Try eating only 1200 to maybe 1400 calories a day. Are you gaining muscle? Are you geting to much sodium? Sugar? Are you drinking enough water? These are all things that I have asked myself. Hopefully this helps. DON'T GIVE UP:flowerforyou:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Got to eat those calories or you will sabotage yourself.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

I really want this more than anything. But I'm having a hard time convincing myself to be this hard on myself and be this unhappy with nothing to show for it.

Whoa....right there....
    What are you doing to make you feel this way?
    How hard are you pushing yourself?
    The only thing i changed from my shift to before MFP and now is logging all my foods AND hitting my calories required. Sure i work out a bit (no more then an hour). Today, I am looking at healthier food options as opposed to what I usually was eating (cause I get to eat more that way).

Dang, you sound so down and depressed about this thing that YOU want so much, it makes me wonder what is making it so hard?
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    From my angle, it is all about getting real and getting real honest. Three w/o's 3 x per week might not be enough? Your "active" job might be one that your body sees as its baseline so you have to push the cardio harder to burn calories. I think everyone on this site, who has lost and maintained that loss, pretty much agrees that NOT eating your allowed calories = starvation mode = slowed down metabolism = no weight loss . . . SO eat your calories and take a good hard look at your exercise . . .

And hang in there. As you will inevitably hear: you didn't gain it in a day; it won't come off in a day either

Best to you!
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i think you're not eating enough cals a day and you're putting your body into starvation mode. remember, mfp already takes a 500 cal deficit into account, so it's figuring that you're burning 2360 and so if you eat 1860, you should be losing a lb a week. (if your goal was a lb/week, then the deficit for you should be around 500) so you're eating a little more than 1/2 the cals your body's burning each day, not even counting exercise cals!:noway: i think that's why you're not losing weight. you hear people talk bout starvation mode being when you go below 1200 but i really think you're doing it to yourself now, even if you're above 1200 cals because you're eating so few cals compared to how many you're burning. your body's holding onto the nutrition that it can actually get!:wink: another thing to keep in mind, are you doing the 8 glasses of water a day? i skimmed the responses quickly because i'm tired lol but i don't remember you saying that you were getting in the 8 a day. that made a big difference for me when i was starting out.

so, my bottom line, i think you need to up your cals and eat what mfp sets for you for a few weeks, including eating exercise cals and see if you see improvements. also make sure you are getting in 8 glasses a day!

good luck! don't give up, i know it's frustrating, i think you just need to do some tweaking! you'll get it:wink::flowerforyou:
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So, you've answered the question - if you're depriving your body of usually 900 cals or so a day it is hanging on to all it can as fat because you are under-eating and your body is covering the bases to survive. You should notice a huge difference without much waiting if you start eating your exercise cals and continue to be as diligent as you have been.

I've been on here for just shy of 2 months and I've lost 23.5lbs. Give the exercise cals a try. Chin up! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I just wanted to second what everyone said about eatting your exercise cals and drinking the water.

I also wanted to say hello and sympathize because I feel like we are in almost the same situation. I am 5'7" and 225 lbs right now. My 6 lbs came mostly from a gap in time between when I was using the site and decided to come back to it.

Now that I am being religious about the site, I am totally stuck! It is so, so frustrating. I get on the scale every morning (I know.. bad, but I can't help it) and then get angry at it every morning.

I am terrible about drinking my 8 cups... so that is my first plan of attack to help improve things. I do eat my exercise calories, but I am still struggling. You're not the only one! I've been on so many "diets" over the years and this site seems like a completely sane alternative. Stick to it and don't give up!