weighing in after work out

Options
What kind of affect would weighing in AFTER a work out have? Would it be accurate? I ask because on days like today when the scale shows a gain, I have a really hard time going to work out after that. I still did it last week, but after doing pretty well for two weeks in a row and GAINING two weeks in a row, I said screw it and went back to bed this morning.

But if I could weigh in after I work out, I think that would work better, but I don't want to if it would negatively (or false positively) affect the scale.

Replies

• Rae9911
    Rae9911 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself in the morning before I have had anything to eat or drink as I find that if I weigh myself in the evening I always show as a gain from the food that I have eaten/drunk during the day.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I always weigh myself in the morning before I have had anything to eat or drink as I find that if I weigh myself in the evening I always show as a gain from the food that I have eaten/drunk during the day.
    Same. Just brave through the plateau. The scale will change soon.
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I personally always weigh in on monday mornings after I work out, at least those are the ones I report. I think it is OK because it is consistent, so as long as you pick the same time every week with a routine your only comparing the results to each other.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Funny, my sister and I had this conversation last night. I asked her if she has ever weighed herself immediately after working out because when I do, I am usually half a pound to a pound lighter. Our weight fluctuates throughout the day but it was pretty cool to find out that she weighs a pound lighter after a workout as well. I don't think it's accurate though, just something I observed.

I'd go with weighing yourself first thing in the morning for an accurate result.
  • Dittz81
    Dittz81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself in the morning also. If i see i gained, it makes me want to work out harder. After the workout sometimes i weigh myself again, the scale for me does go down. It keeps me going. How accurate it is I am not sure, like i said it keeps me going after i see a lost. Good Luck !!:smile:
  • Smcnie
    Smcnie Posts: 12
    Options
    Same. Just brave through the plateau. The scale will change soon.

Weight is most accurate first thing in the morning, usually best after that first morning pee!!!! Don't let a gain dishearten you, I can gain 3-4 lbs over just a couple of naughty days, but then lose it again just as quickly after being extra good. A good thing to remember is that a gain can relate to water retention amongst many other factors rather than actual FAT gain.

Keep your head up, it WILL go x
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I did this yesterday just out of curiosity, I weighed myself in the morning like I always do and was at 248 then weighed myself right after my workout and was at 245 lol I'm guessing it was the water weight i lost from sweating. Like everyone said, I think the morning weigh is more accurate as long as you weigh yourself at the same time every day you'll get a pretty accurate look at your progress.
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Haha! i did the same thing yesterday. I weight myself right after my workout just to see what the result was and I was heavier than when I did my check in this morning. I only do check-ins in the morning right when I wake, and in the buff. That will give you your most accurate number. =)
  • Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too weigh in after a work out, which is in the evening times, it normally says I'm about .4 lb lighter... and its a consistent drop every day that I work out.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Your weight is accurate anytime you step on the scale, for your body weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day. What you want is consistency, and you get that by weighting yourself under the same conditions and at the same time, every time. That being said, you will probably weigh less after a workout vs before, because you will lose water during exercise. However, you may weigh more after your workout than you would first thing in the morning, depending on how long of time has past and what you eat in between those times.
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when....what matters is that you weigh in at the same time consistently so the weight loss/gain will be fairly accurate. I always weigh in in the mornings, after a really good cardio session and after sweating out a whole lot, the weight the scale shows may reflect the water loss but that's okay if I weigh in the same way each week.
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You will weigh less in the morning than any other part of the day unless your workout is really intense. I was a wrestler for 16 or so years, I can tell you what you weigh after a workout is what you weigh. Its not playing games with you. But say you lost a pound during your worlout and then you drink a pound of water you'll be a pound heavier.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    It also possible that you are building muscle so naturally that is heavier than fat, don't panic, just keep up the good work! I am working out since january 31st and the only change is on my body that I still have the same weight but getting more muscle :)
  • brandywine100
    brandywine100 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe some womans weight also fluctuates right before "that time". If you know what I mean ladies.