gained 2 lbs of muscle?

Options
Hey guys!

I've been losing pretty steadily since I started MFP but last week I started the 30 day shred and for my weigh in this morning I've gained 2 lbs.

It's not within range of my time of the month I don't think, for it to be water weight, and I've been pretty good this week about eating. I COULD have calculated wrong or maybe it's just a down week for me? I'd like to think it's the new muscle but is it possible to gain 2 whole pounds of muscle in a week? Even with powerhouse Jillian Michaels?

I can do more push ups than a week ago and the workout is making me stronger. I measured myself and seem to have either not lost, or gained a little in that too.

Any feedback is appreciated :D

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I would hang on for another week and ch3eck the scale again. I 've had days like that and then the next time I go to weigh myself I've actually lost more than I thoguht!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If I remember what I've read on here correctly, working out holds water in the muscles.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am sure someone here will put this better than I am but...

I have been reading that your muscles when worked out hard will retain water to help them recover.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think that when you start working your muscles, they start to retain some water. This is very common. I think you should give it three full weeks to normalize. I do agree that mis-calculating calories is very common and that is usually the cause of plateaus. I always weigh my high calorie foods just to be sure.
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    thanks fbmandy :D I'll try that! I t's only a week so I am trying not to let it get me down but you know how it is :P
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    yes, the last two posts are correct, you need to increase your water to get rid of what the muscles are holding onto in order to repair themselves. To help with this repair, you should try getting some more lean protein consummed within about 1/2 hr from your workout for you muscles. A couple of days of clean eating (watching sodium to bare minimum), increased water and you should see those two lbs fall off and maybe even a another or two. (gaining "muscle weight' takes a long time) good luck and just keep trucking along, you're doing great and the exercise changes are GREAT for your body and your journey
  • marji4x
    marji4x Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! It's so good to hear this and I hope it is the case. I'll take your advice michelle :D
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    If I remember what I've read on here correctly, working out holds water in the muscles.

THIS

because they are injured (all the little tears that working them causes), it's part of the healing process. the same thing happened to me when I started the 30 day shred.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I noticed that sometimes when I would not exercise for a while, then started up really hard exercise, that during that first week I would gain. I attributed it to like my muscles being swollen or something because they weren't used to exercise again? It always went away at week 2 if i kept it up, so... just keep on doing your exercise and eating right, and it should go away !
  • savannahribeiro
    savannahribeiro Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. I just weighed myself this morning and I had gained a pound since I last weighed myself, which would have been the 29th of December, but I've been exercising every day except sundays and Ive been eating well.
    I hope it's muscle, as I've been doing a lot of strength training.
    Muscle does weigh more than fat ;)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Water weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey guys!

I've been losing pretty steadily since I started MFP but last week I started the 30 day shred and for my weigh in this morning I've gained 2 lbs.

It's not within range of my time of the month I don't think, for it to be water weight, and I've been pretty good this week about eating. I COULD have calculated wrong or maybe it's just a down week for me? I'd like to think it's the new muscle but is it possible to gain 2 whole pounds of muscle in a week? Even with powerhouse Jillian Michaels?

I can do more push ups than a week ago and the workout is making me stronger. I measured myself and seem to have either not lost, or gained a little in that too.

Any feedback is appreciated :D

As others said, it's water weight from exercise/natural body fluctuations. I can assure you that it's not muscle though. First, because 30DS is not a progress weight training program, it's cardio weights. And two, because you are probably in a deficit. And three, you are female. Since females don't have a lot of testosterone, it's very difficult to gain new lean body mass; they generally get 1/2 lb per week while on a surplus while using a progressive load weight training program.

Keep in mind, that you shouldn't confusing gaining strength (muscle efficiency), with muscle gain (new growth).
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No nigh on impossible to gain that over a month, and something like 30day shred is cardio so it will just water retention in muscles due to new exercise routine.