Hypothyroidism and Success

Options
I am struggling with getting an accurate view of how my Thyroid affects my energy level to exercise and the affect it has on my weight loss. I want to be realistic about how it affects my physical health and weight loss, but don't want to make excuses. I think I set high expectations for my fitness goals, like doing P90X or doing a triathlon or running a 5K, then when I start working towards these goals I feel exhausted and drained and discouraged.

If you have hypothyroidism and have successfully lost weight or reached specific fitness goals, I want to hear how you did it and what worked for you. Maybe it can help me find the right balance (in my thinking and my goals).

Replies

• seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have it...have been on Synthroid for a few years. I used the Couch to 5k program and completed it a month or so ago. I also ran my first 5k! That program really works!!
  • LissaBaby14
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and even though i'm working on myy weight right now, I can give you advice on what helped me lose in the past.. I used to go to the gym everyday and do at least 45 minutes of cardio. I made sure to take my synthroid in the morning as directed & i'd eat when I finished working out. Doing that was the only way I noticed a difference. I know it's not much but that's all I really know :/ Best of luck to you <3
  • LuRox
    LuRox Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid. Have been for 10 years now. Up until this past January, I was unable to lose much weight other than 10 lbs or so, for a long time. This past January, I started walking 3 miles every day, and doing Weight/Strength training 2-3 days in addition to the cardio! And then I tweaked my eating plan. I was getting my calories spot on, but I wasn't really paying attention to the actual nutrition I was getting from those calories. So I am now eating no processed foods (which I feel is a huge part of my thyroid problems by the way) like Lean Cuisines and stuff. I get up every morning and pack my food for lunch. Usually it's a cup of some kind of dried beans and some fruit. Occasionally I will have a chicken breast left over from the night before. I don't eat Beef or Pork, except on Weekends now. Weekends are somewhat of cheat days for me. But I still will not eat processed food then either. It's made a huge difference and I immediately dropped 5.5 lbs my first week, then each week was consistently a loss of 3-5 lbs. In 10 weeks, I have lost 32 lbs. I have a goal to lose 50 lbs by June 4. And you know what, for the first time ever, I feel like I can get there.

So long story short. Take a look at what you are eating and tweak it. You might get the same results I did.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about ten or twelve years ago (it's been so long, I don't even remember). I currently take generic Synthroid daily.

Five years ago, I lost (and have kept off) 60+ pounds. My doctor sent me to a dietician after I was diagnosed with elevated blood sugar as he didn't really want me to be on insulin. At the time, I also quit taking my cholesterol medication as I was having issues with some side effects. The dietician told me three things basically:
    1. Watch portion sizes.
    2. Write down everything you eat.
    3. Keep your total "carbs" to 15 or less each day. In her world, 15 grams of carbohydrate = 1 "carb."

Well, I thought she was a quack, but five years later, I am a success story. I did the things she suggested, and I WALKED, WALKED, WALKED the weight off. I still track what I eat and the exercise that I do, and I try to walk about 25 miles a week (or more).

My point is, don't use hypothyroidism as an "excuse." It may be more difficult, it may take longer, but it can be done.

Good luck,
    Kaye
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I take synthroid as well and as long as you are taking your pills, your thyroid should be where it is supposed to be. When I wasn't on synthroid yet is when I felt like an exhausted toad. :)
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the book "Mastering your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. She has Hypothyroidism (as do I), and dedicates a lot of the book to thyroid/metabolic issues. I haven't been able to lose a dang ounce for 5 years, but after reading her book and doing what it said, I've lost 4 pounds in the past two weeks! Definitely recommended reading!