I Can't Believe It's Not Butter-spray....I think it's bad fo

Options
A while back, I thought I had discovered a gold mine! I can't believe it's not butter spray! For a butter substitute! 0 calories, yada, yada. But after a bit, I began unscrewing the cap and pouring it on my potato, my oatmeal, etc. Just now, I googled it to see if it's bad for me (I was so sure it wasn't, ha) and dang it, it is. If it's too good, to be true, it usually is. Anybody else out there use this stuff? What are your thoughts on it? I'm thinking I'm going to quit using it.

Replies

• ljbrauer
    ljbrauer Posts: 62
    Options
    any butter (fake or not) will probably be bad for you, but it makes the world go round! i love country crock, but i just use in moderation. you might look into smart balance spread...not too sure about the amount of calories but it is supposedly better than butter/margarine.

you're not suppose to unscrew the cap and just pour it out, mary!! i probably would do the same thing...lmao!
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use it a lot too... i spray instead of pour... but I still use it. I also like the Parkay brand spray butter. I've never really looked into how good / bad it is though.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I used to use it. It's just like liquid margarine. Just squirt, don't pour! LOL!

I used some of that popcorn cheese sprinkle on my veggies the other day and it was sooo good! Give that a try!
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's ok if you use it for 1 or 2 sprays every now and then. But pouring it... definitely not. Also, I think it says that after 5 sprays there's calories. Not sure how much, but I know it's not good to use a lot all the time. I probably use it once a week max for 1 or 2 sprays.

Try using things instead of butter.... for example, on a baked potato, use salsa. It's delicious!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Surely, I'm not the only "pourer" out here! LOL...I will stop that, for sure. It might be hard to go back to sprays though. I'll give it a try.
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I always use butter, nothing artificial can be beneficial. Adding chemicals to your body just does not sound right to me. Butter or die...just in moderation of course.
  • js775219
    js775219 Posts: 98
    Options
    I like it...but definitely no pouring...no pouring! lol...Just a few sprays. And we have Smart Balance in the house too and it's a pretty good deal, when I get home, I can look at the nutrition info...we like it.
  • SteeleMagnolia
    Options
    I don't like fake anything. Butter is okay in moderation. A teaspoon not a tablespoon. Same as sugar. You may like the taste of the substitutes but your body isn't getting any nutrition, just chemicals. Try eating your food plain. Once you get used to the taste you may actually prefer the actual food taste over the 'seasoning'. Anyway, that's my opinion.
  • StabR80
    StabR80 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    you are not alone I have been know to pour as well. specially when I need a 1/4 cup of butter for a recipe and I am out of everything but that.
    Surely, I'm not the only "pourer" out here! LOL...I will stop that, for sure. It might be hard to go back to sprays though. I'll give it a try.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thank you all for your feedback!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I SRAY it on my thin bagel every morning with cinnamon :)
  • mmcbutterpants
    mmcbutterpants Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The spray is mostly just salt, soybean oil and thickeners, with a trivial amount of buttermilk...calories will build up if you're using a lot but no where near what butter or margarine would add up to. If you have blood pressure issues of if the doctor told you to watch your salt intake than you might want to cut back but otherwise it's not going to cause any harm other than a little bloat. It's way better than what would happen if you were eating real butter all the time.
    I used to spray it all over my popcorn but then I switched to the butter flavored Pam spray. It adds more real oil but it's a much more satisfying flavor and texture, less wet. worth the few extra calories for me...maybe for you to.
  • WattsJA
    WattsJA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    here are the stats ..

12.5 squirts = 10 Calories (1g sat Fat)
    25 squirts = 20 calories (2g sat fat)
    37.5 squirts = 30 calories (3g of sat fat)
    etc ....

Now here is how it affected me:

I used to pour it on vegetables and oatmeal .. thinking it was 0 calorie .. but I noticed that though I was doing cardio daily, I was gaining weight. I discovered the stats I posted above and realized I was getting 1000 calories (100g sat fat) or more a week. I stopped the ICBITB spray and in fact ALL butter in November 2010. As of 4/9 (6 months) .. I have lost 50+lbs and didn't change anything else about my diet.

USE WITH CAUTION!!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I read recently that one teaspoon of that stuff has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat. If you pour, make sure you are counting the calories. The zero calorie serving size they give you on the label is probably something ridiculous like "2.5 sprays." Same thing goes for nonstick cooking spray.

Edited to add, I posted the same time as WattsJA- good info!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I stick with natural butter and stay away from the fake spray stuff etc...I just watch my calorie intake when I use it.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I actually recommend getting rid of butter everywhere that it isn't required for a recipe to cook properly and to avoid recipes where it's required.

For instance, butter is NOT required in order to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I just do a light spray across the pan with some Pam Olive Oil spray and that suffices to help brown the outside of the sandwich. That spray is calorie free but even if it wasn't, at least it's made from olive oil and is a healthy fat.

Also, keep something in mind: in many Mediterranean countries, they don't have butter because they don't have refrigerators and don't keep food for multiple days. For instance, I have family that lives in Lebanon and they cook with olive oils and with...*trumpet flares*...NOTHING.

You just have to slowly eek it out of your diet. If you're making a grilled cheese sandwich, portion out the butter ahead of time and use only half of it. Then the next time, portion out only half of that amount. By the third time, you should be butter-free. Also, try adding a tomato to a grilled cheese. It tastes really amazing, but NOT if there's butter involved. So that could help too.

As to other items, just remember to PRE-PORTION.

As Americans, one of the WORST things we do is BRING THE BUTTER to the table. If you prepare your meal at the counter and immediately put the butter back in the fridge, you will not be as tempted to put on more. The same goes for salts, syrups, etc.

When you create a meal that traditionally would have butter in it--baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob...the list goes on and on, just DON'T use it. I promise that most of these recipes don't NEED butter!!!

Did you know that in order to process properly, a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese really only needs 1/4 of the butter that's listed on the recipe??!!!

Also, most cakes and pies don't need butter to bake correctly. So just look for the loopholes and you'll get it out of your diet.
  • navvs15
    navvs15 Posts: 165
    Options
    I own a spray bottle of "I can't believe it's not butter", but I rarely use it. It's alright tasting, I suppose I'm just not that much of a butter person. But it does seem better to use than regular butter, especially if you use loads of it.
  • BlazedBetty
    Options
    I use ICBINB all the time... but I don't use alot of it each time.
    But I do prolly use it daily.
    I make sure to stay to less than the 5 sprays the label says...

The ONLY time I took the lid off it and poured it was into a small container to dip crab legs into... because who can have crab and lobster without butter? lol But I counted the whole container (2oz) even tho I was dipping and had some left over.

It is true tho, that after the 5 sprays it starts having calories.... but it was way less calories than actual melted butter was so I felt like I was winning by having my butter taste

Most of the time I use it in cooking... to grease a pan or spray on cut up potatoes or vegetables before I microwave them... the microwave can really dry some foods out.

It's like I've heard on here time and time again
    "moderation"
    lol
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I always use butter, nothing artificial can be beneficial. Adding chemicals to your body just does not sound right to me. Butter or die...just in moderation of course.

I agree with this statement, except the moderation part.

I use organic, Amish Roll butter............the best in the world.
  • Bettegraves
    Options
    I'm definitely a pourer! Especially on broccoli. I just spray on toast and use cinnamon and Truvia. Someone told me they had heard there was plastic in this product. Anyone heard that?