MiO - Liquid Water Enhancer

Options
Does anyone have any kind of information about the stuff? I used crystal light to flavor up my water for a long time but decided to try out the new MiO enhancer. It says "Natural Flavor with Other Natural Flavor" on the front of the bottle (not quite sure what that's supposed to mean by the natural with natural) but I figured I'd ask around. I have a hard time believing its ALL NATURAL because otherwise, it would say that :)

Let me know if you have any info! :) THANKS!!!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just bought the sweet tea one and I'm curious to try it out (didn't get to last night). I'm also planning to make a mixed drink with Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka, MiO sweet tea, and crystal light lemonade mix. Only 110 calories total if you put one shot in!
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    ive seen it in the store here its 3.99 for that little container. i am wondering that too. ill stick with crystal light. for that price. or the no name brand stuff
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    i have totally been meaning to post about this. i love the stuff...but i dont see how its 'natural' ... so i am defintiely wondering too!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    It's flavored with sucralose (splenda). I love it. For the price, you get more bang for your buck than you do with the powdered mixes..
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    My mom told me about this stuff last week, then my siss and I saw it when shopping the other day and it looked really neat. I'm curious about it too. Is there any aspartame or artificial sweeteners in it? Or is it truely all natural? I would love to start having this on hand for my kids rather then Crystal light (if it's better for them)
  • ukhennin
    ukhennin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article about it:

http://www.drinkwhat.com/mio-liquid-water-enhancer/

As long as it doesn't have aspartame (like crystal light) I'm all for it.
  • JustJenn419
    JustJenn419 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I also purchased the Sweet Tea one. I must say, it's pretty good :) I've already had 2 bottles today (water) so I just want to make sure I'm not over-doing it.

It is $3.99 for the bottle but it only takes one good squeeze to flavor a regular 16.9oz water bottle. A box of crystal light packets only come 10 in a pack so I think this might be a little more cost-saving (just a little though).
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No info about it but I do like it! I have the watermelon/strawberry and the peach/mango flavors. It doesnt take much to add some flavor and if you just use a little bit, it tastes kinda like gatorade or propel, which I really like. But I was wondering about the "natural flavor with other natural flavors" as well, lol
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ok, here's what I found:

According to MiO, “MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.” The ingredients for Mango Peach includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium(Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Polysorbate 60, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative). The ingredient for Peach Tea includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).

I dont like all the artificial colors in it but other than that, I guess it's not terrible... although there are a lot of words that I cant pronounce :/
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on this product ...

I know I have to steer clear of this one too :( ...... when you have a severe allergies to artificial sweeteners ( causes migraines ) I avoid them like the black plague.

To flavor my wate I use True Lemon or True Lime. All natural juice - water removed and comes in a nice little packet I can carry around in my pocket if I am not carrying a bag.
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Mio is not all natural, it only claims to have natural flavorings ( and less then 2% according to the label).That said, I got a free sample through their Facebook page a few weeks ago and loved it!:love: I thought that the $3.99 was a little expensive when I went to buy the next one, but realized that there are 24 servings per bottle, each serving flavoring 8 oz of water (which I mix a little weaker anyway), making it about $.16 a serving...a lot cheaper then the bottles of flavored water I used to buy. Since getting Mio I have nearly tripled my water intake, and no longer feel like I'm forcing myself to drink water. :drinker:
  • My3Rayz
    My3Rayz Posts: 373
    Options
    I've tried like every flavor. I like it because you can control the amount you put in to flavor the water a little or alot! What I could find online said it's completely calorie free which means there has to be some chemicals in there.

Here's what I found on a google search: According to MiO, “MiO is sweetened with Sucralose, a calorie-free, artificial sweetener that is 600 times sweeter than sugar. Generally, non-nutritive sweeteners are calorie free in finished products because they impart high sweetness intensity and are needed only in very small amounts to give desired sweetness to a product. Artificial sweeteners provide sweetness without adding calories to help individuals watching their calorie and sugar intake. To maintain color and freshness, MiO does use certain preservatives and artificial colorings.” The ingredients for Mango Peach includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium(Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Polysorbate 60, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative). The ingredient for Peach Tea includes: Water, Malic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Citrict Acid, Contains less than 2% of natural flavor, Sucralose and Acesulfame potassium (Sweeteners), Potassium citrate, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Red 40, Potassium Sorbate (Perservative).

Definately not as healthy as plain old water :ohwell:
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I tried the purple one and I'm in love. I dont know what the name was but it was just like the purple gatorade just lighter and less sugary.
  • AngieDee0912
    Options
    Okay, everyone is on here because they have an interest in their health. To put this simply, Do Your Research On Artificial Sweeteners (NutriSweet, Splenda, Equal, Sucralose, Aspartame, etc) Mio and Crystal Lite, along with sugar-free gum, sugar-free maple syrup, sugar-free almost anything, look appealing to someone trying to cut out or lower their sugar intake but they are a chemical **** storm! The chemical, aspartame, is by far the most dangerouse food additive out there! It causes every kind of medical problem from neurological to physical, cancer, seizures, lowed iq, birth defects, infertility, blindness, sleep disorders, and obesity!! Look at several sources to gather information! The companies who profit from disease (like the FDA) are going to tell you this man-made chemical is safe, but doctors and scientists urge people to STOP consuming it! ...or at the very least, Do Your Research!! Consider puting slices of fresh fruit in your water, or mint. Look up the recipe for "sassy water" to help aid in weight loss. Stevia may even be a better option as it is not man-made. Just look into it and make an informed decision!
  • lorilynne66
    lorilynne66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love my stevia...I am a two-time cancer survivor...no artificial sweetners for me!...I'll take real sugar over that disaster any day!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Okay, everyone is on here because they have an interest in their health. To put this simply, Do Your Research On Artificial Sweeteners (NutriSweet, Splenda, Equal, Sucralose, Aspartame, etc) Mio and Crystal Lite, along with sugar-free gum, sugar-free maple syrup, sugar-free almost anything, look appealing to someone trying to cut out or lower their sugar intake but they are a chemical **** storm! The chemical, aspartame, is by far the most dangerouse food additive out there! It causes every kind of medical problem from neurological to physical, cancer, seizures, lowed iq, birth defects, infertility, blindness, sleep disorders, and obesity!! Look at several sources to gather information! The companies who profit from disease (like the FDA) are going to tell you this man-made chemical is safe, but doctors and scientists urge people to STOP consuming it! ...or at the very least, Do Your Research!! Consider puting slices of fresh fruit in your water, or mint. Look up the recipe for "sassy water" to help aid in weight loss. Stevia may even be a better option as it is not man-made. Just look into it and make an informed decision!
    Ha! You committed thread necromancy for fear mongering with unsupported claims. First post too. Brill.
  • dany422
    dany422 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ha! You committed thread necromancy for fear mongering with unsupported claims. First post too. Brill.

Fred - I'm suspecting the reason for @AngieDee's thread necromancy (and the few others) is that when Googling "does Mio contain aspartame?" this is the first thread Google matched, in which (I'm just guessing here) people are caring not one bit as to dates; it's a fitness site, let's get real... And I, personally, still found it very informative in spite of this act you deem so faux pas. As for fear mongering, I respected the fact @AngieDee suggested twice the reader do research for themselves, which allowed me to view what you call "unsupported claims" as her speaking from personal experience and study, and nothing more. And this is my first post and all, too, Brill I know! ;)