do I really need a HRM??

Options
I've been a runner for a few years and concentrate more on my endurance and ability rather than my calorie loss. Now that I've accomplished my goal (finished my first half-marathon!) I know my endurance is where I'd like it to be.

After reading so much about HRM on here (haven't noticed them at my gym, really) I feel like I could benefit from one. Last night I talked to my fiance about it, who has always been a fan of gadgets, and he told me I should get one. Money isn't NECESSARILY the issue (not to say that I throw money around but I could afford one right now) but is it something I will truly benefit from? In the long run? Is it accurate? I know machines at the gym should not be trusted for the number they spew out. Is this something I should wear all the time or just when working out?

Sell me on these, please :)

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My running gadget covet is a Garmin Forerunner 305. It does more than heart rate. It has GPS so it can tell you speed, distance, pace. It's a runners dream toy. I'm saving up my pennies.

fore305-1-lg.jpg
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm interested in this as well, since I'm a bit skeptical about some of the calorie figures MFP is telling me for exercise. I would only want to wear it during fitness sessions! Money isn't really an issue either for me.

Do they compensate for the type of activity you are doing? For example, if I am cycling and I get the same heart rate as when I am jogging, does this work out as the same amount of calories burned? (even though they are different exercises, and cycling is easier than jogging?)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I really love mine! I've had it for a few weeks now and it's really accurate. I can pause it and it shows how long i work out and where my hr is. It also calculates my perfect hr goal which is really helpful.
    The calories burned is important for me. I do not have the same amount every day and i try and eat back half of them (I stop eating when i have enough sodium). It has helped me lose another 5lbs so far so i am all for it :-)
  • andyj1984
    Options
    My running gadget covet is a Garmin Forerunner 305. It does more than heart rate. It has GPS so it can tell you speed, distance, pace. It's a runners dream toy. I'm saving up my pennies.

Ooooo, I like the look of that!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Think of it like a new running outfit. You don't *need* it, but if it motivates you and makes you feel like you're better equipped then it's a good thing. :-D

It might push you to up your intensity with each run, too.

I dunno from personal experience as I have yet to get one. :-)
  • andyj1984
    Options
    The Garmin 310xt looks even better since you can wear it while swimming! Rather expensive though!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I got a Polat FT4 last week and I LOVE it...now I'm able to SEE how hard I'm working and if I need to get my HR up. AND I workout longer bc I like seeing the calories burned go up :)
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I got a Polat FT4 last week and I LOVE it...now I'm able to SEE how hard I'm working and if I need to get my HR up. AND I workout longer bc I like seeing the calories burned go up :)

I have the Polar FT4 also and absolutely love it! And to answer your question OP, in my opinion, you can NEVER go wrong getting an HRM!
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 405CX rocks. GPS + HRM easy to use. Connects wirelessly to computer based and web based software. It is not nearly as bulky as the other Garmin products and even fits my rather girlish wrists.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-405CX-Sport-Monitor/dp/B0025UHKNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302797738&sr=8-1
  • mertheg01
    mertheg01 Posts: 19
    Options
    Yes you do... I am using the Timex HRM. You can enter and update your weight, with weight, heart rate, and time of activity you can get a accurate calorie burned count. MTP's calorie counts are off. If you can afford one, get one..
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input! next question- what about the chest strap? does that get annoying and sweaty when you move around?
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input! next question- what about the chest strap? does that get annoying and sweaty when you move around?
    To be honest I don't even notice mine.
  • farrah_eliza
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 also- I love it!!
  • mbroeckelmanpost
    mbroeckelmanpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Particularly as a runner, I think you'll really like the feedback that an HRM gives you. I have a Polar RS300X with a foot pod (bought together on Amazon for $149 combined), and it has been tremendously helpful as I have gotten back into running (currently training for another half marathon after a couple of years of not really running much). I love knowing how many calories I have burned-- but I also love knowing my pace, distance, heart rate, and more at any point in my run. Now, I actually watch my heart rate instead of my pace while running-- I keep it right around 160, which has been the perfect balance of working hard enough to increase speed and burn more calories while knowing that I'm not going so hard that I can't finish a long run, which has really improved my speed and endurance. This particular model can be purchased with a GPS instead of a foot pod, so you can get it with whichever you prefer (or neither). I don't really notice the chest strap at all while running unless it loosens and starts to slip-- but even then, all you need to do is tighten it slightly and keep going.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I don’t know if you “NEED” a HRM, but it sure helps out. If you just like to go out and jog for X miles or hours, that’s fine too. I use to jog a lot without one, but then there was a sale on WOOT for one with chest strap for $20. Couldn’t pass it up. Got it a couple of days later, set it up for my details and went jogging. The first thing I noticed is that it told me to slow down. Basically it was trying to keep my heart rate a certain level. With the pace I was doing it was getting too high. So I listened. At first I thought I am not working out hard enough. But as time went on I got better. Meaning that I was able to jog faster, for longer strides and further total distance.

For example, before I would jog about a 9 minute mile pace. That would usually last only about a mile. Then in the 2nd mile, it would be about a 13 minute pace. This was because I spent so much energy on the first mile that I could no longer sustain it.

After using the HRM, I found that it was making me do a 12 minute mile pace. That’s a jogging pace of 5 MPH. Doesn’t sound that fast I know. But I could sustain that pace for miles and mile. So at the end I got a better cardio work out.

As time went on, I noticed that I had to run faster to stay “in the zone”. I was then noticing that I was doing 11 minute miles, then 10:30, then 10 minute miles. So that told me that my heart was getting “better” and I was able to jog faster and sustain that speed for much further distances. Although I haven’t reached that 8 minute mile pace, I know I have gotten a lot better since getting the HRM.

And now my resting heart rate is in the high 30’s to low 40’s. I even went to the Doctors to have my heart rate checked to make sure it wasn’t too low. I never notice the chest strap when I jog, even from day 1.
  • lradloff
    lradloff Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump. =)
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too have an RS300x with foot pod that I got last week. As a beginner runner, I have only been on a treadmill. I want to start running outside as the weather improves, and to prepare for my upcoming 5K, but have grown accustom to the metrics a treadmill provides. So, I purchased this HRM so that I can still get HR, distance, and calories burned when I'm off the machine.

I am still getting used to it, but it has shown me how inconsistent the machines at the gym are. The strap is only noticeable when I first put it on, and I soon forget I'm wearing it. The foot pod is light-weight, and does not interfere with my running. Jus as you do not "need" a scale to lose weight, you do not need a HRM to accomplish your goals, but it sure does help.

Polar RS300x with Foot Pod:
    Polar-RS300X-RUN_all.jpg
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    Yes, you NEED a HRM! Ok, that may be a bit of exaggeration but I could not live without mine. I am a numbers gal and I like the instant feedback. There are some days I feel I'm running or biking hard but the HRM tells me the bottomline. And I know that it is accurate because it is calibrated to ME not some AVERAGE number. So I know for certain I really earned those extra calories and it is safe to eat over my goal number. Otherwise I wouldn't feel good about doing that, I wouldn't eat enough, and I wouldn't lose weight! So its a good thing all around!:happy:
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    To be honest I don't even notice mine.

I notice mine, but it's not a bothersome notice. It's a positive recognition. This thing has honestly become a beloved friend. The chest strap is kind of wet and nasty when I finish working out, but I find that fact reassuring in that I worked out hard like I should be. I have started wearing the watch part all day as a constant reminder to watch the calories and choices I'm putting in. I've had it a few weeks and the "newness" has not worn off. It's pushing me constantly.
  • alyssa83202
    alyssa83202 Posts: 334
    Options
    I don't run, but I wear mine when I do Insanity, and I don't even notice it. I'm too busy feeling like I'm about to die to even think about the chest strap! lol :laugh: