Coffee vs. Tea

Options
So, I am a coffee addict!! I cannot get away away from it! I do use sugar-free creamer so I guess that is good.
Anyway, If there is anyone else here that is trying to cut back on coffee (creamer) and drink more herbal tea..can I get some ideas? I am not a lover of warm tea. I love it iced, but in the mornings or evenings I just want a nice cup of java. This might be a challenge in the making if there are others on here like me...

Replies

• solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i am the same way. i use powdered creamer, and i just drink less coffee now.
  • arezou_vancouver
    arezou_vancouver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    maaaaaaaaaan, I hear you. I CAN NOT cut coffee out of my life, but you know I read somewhere that it's actually good for your heart :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can keep the coffee and wean off the creamer. Get some FRESH and high quality beans and prepare the coffee properly. Coffee is one of life's simple delicious pleasures. Adding creamers or sweeteners or whatnot just takes away from the goodness.
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee addict as well. However, I like mine black. I used to drink about 8-10 cups of regular coffee a day. I've cut it back to a mug in the morning and I drink herbal tea in the afternoon/evening instead of more coffee. Have you tried Tazo Tea? I've found that I like their tea the best.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I'm more of a tea drinker, though I'm adding more coffee lately. I drink both black though.

What is it about the tea that you don't like? I've had just about every type and flavour under the sun, so maybe I can suggest something if I have an idea of your taste (or distaste, as it is)...
  • le07
    le07 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hiya I thought about giving up too, but there is a new coffee out by gold blend called green summat. It is supposed to have anti oxidants etc. x
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I also LOVE my morning coffee... I have been given tips to decrease the amount of creamer that I use.... (1 tbsp/8 oz) I have done that and although its a little bitter for my taste... it hasn't been too terrible.

However, if you are decided to give it up altogether, I recommend the Stash teas. They are AMAZING! Some of them require milk - so pay attention if you don't readily have milk available (I drink it at work, so don't have milk). But the ones that only use water are pretty good too.

I still sweeten my teas though, usually with pure sugar.... so I'm not sure that I could really consider it any "healthier" than my coffee/creamer!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you can keep the coffee and wean off the creamer. Get some FRESH and high quality beans and prepare the coffee properly. Coffee is one of life's simple delicious pleasures. Adding creamers or sweeteners or whatnot just takes away from the goodness.

agreed. Good coffee needs no additions, crappy coffee needs milk and sugar.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I gave up coffee and went to straight green tea almost every morning. I don't miss the coffee surprisingly!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I love coffee! And I don't think it's bad, in moderation. I have my two cups every morning, with (*gasp*) real cream and sugar! HA! :laugh: I forget who it was, but I read on a MFP post recently how this one girl "earns" her coffee. She makes herself drink a big glass of water before her coffee, and that made her feel better about drinking it. Hey, whatever works! But I thought that was a nice little suggestion. :flowerforyou:
  • ashmom86
    ashmom86 Posts: 117
    Options
    I'm more of a tea drinker, though I'm adding more coffee lately. I drink both black though.

What is it about the tea that you don't like? I've had just about every type and flavour under the sun, so maybe I can suggest something if I have an idea of your taste (or distaste, as it is)...

Its not that I hate tea, its just not coffee LOL...I have not tried too may flavors, guess I just need to shop around a bit and find something I like.
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I "spend" 163 calories a day on my coffee creamers (1 TBSP Great Value Chocolate Raspberry & 2 TBSP FF half & half per 20 oz cup-3 per day, 2 with FF whipping cream!) and it is totally worth it to me!! My coffee is the thing I look forward to most in the morning. I plan on doing this the rest of my life, so my coffee will NOT be sacrificed! If you love it, why not drink it? (yes, I've cut way back on the creamer :)
  • MissMessVaness
    MissMessVaness Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee in the morning too! maybe just try to limit yourself to 1-2 cups a day and stop there! If your looking to drinking teas, I've read in a bunch of different articles that say green tea is the best way to go! It supposedly speeds up your metabolism and has antioxidants in it too! Just make sure that you choose a green tea that you brew yourself. In other words don't get the already bottled green teas. They still have a lot of sugars and artificial sweeteners in them. Good luck!!!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I have to tell you, taso42, I went to the site in your signature (http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/) because I was recently looking at information on calorie intake for a friend.

Thank you for my first laugh of the day!! It's been a rough one so far, and I needed that :tongue:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong/bad about a mug of coffee ( 12-14 oz.) unless you have some problems with caffeine. Outside of caffeine, coffee is just flavored water...but even caffeine in moderation is ok, unless you have a problem with it. Also, coffee is an antioxidant; hey, if dark chocolate is "good" for you, why not coffee...but all in moderation. As for the creamer, if you have the calories in your budget use them or make budget space for it.
  • erika2002
    Options
    I recently gave up coffee... I didn't have any left one day and only had tea at the house. Before I knew it a whole week had gone by and I didn't have any coffee. I used to be very addicted and now when I have some it doesn't taste good to me! My suggestion if you want to switch is to get good tasting tea... don't just have plan black or green tea get the kinds that have pomogrante, mango, ginger pear, etc... those are delicious!
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you do try tea, I recommend either the Republic of Tea brand or Mighty Leaf brand. Both make excellent teas :)

For black teas I'd say try something like a traditional Chai, or a Vanilla Black tea
    For green, the Republic brand I mentioned earlier makes an EXCELLENT Pomegranate Green Tea

lol i'll leave it here, but I have white and red tea recs if you're interested :)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I like earl gray for hot tea.

I do iced green tea all the time. And theres tons of flavors so look around, you'll find something you like.
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I still love a good cup of coffee (with lots of cream and sugar), but recently I've mostly switched to Yerba Mate. It's a bit easier on my stomach (some coffee gives me slight indigestion, the acid I think). Plus I can drink it with less sugar and cream. You can pick it up almost anywhere these days. Guayaki is a popular brand and one of my favorites.

I think a cup or two of coffee won't hurt (and may even help according to some of the latest research). Just get a good Organic one if possible.

I also tried a coffee substitute called Teechino. Some of the blends were ok, but I don't think the chicory taste agrees with me.
  • HealthiHannah
    HealthiHannah Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you, taso42, I went to the site in your signature (http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/) because I was recently looking at information on calorie intake for a friend.

Thank you for my first laugh of the day!! It's been a rough one so far, and I needed that :tongue:

I second that! (Although, I struggle with this)