How do you calculate your calories burned?

Options
Let me ask two questions I have each time I enter my exercise.

1. Strength Training: When I lift weights, the actual time I am lifting may be 15 seconds with 60 seconds of rest. Over the course of 30 minutes, I may actually only be "lifting" for 7 minutes. How many hours should I enter into the exercise? Should I enter 30 or 7?

2. I have the same question about basketball. During a 120 minute game, there are stopages for timeouts, free throws, etc...I'm guessing in a 120 minute game that I'm not really moving for 20 minutes of it if not more. So again, how many minutes should I enter as basketball?

Replies

• dmor
    dmor Posts: 33
    Options
    Let me ask two questions I have each time I enter my exercise.

1. Strength Training: When I lift weights, the actual time I am lifting may be 15 seconds with 60 seconds of rest. Over the course of 30 minutes, I may actually only be "lifting" for 7 minutes. How many hours should I enter into the exercise? Should I enter 30 or 7?

2. I have the same question about basketball. During a 120 minute game, there are stopages for timeouts, free throws, etc...I'm guessing in a 120 minute game that I'm not really moving for 20 minutes of it if not more. So again, how many minutes should I enter as basketball?
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.caloriesperhour.com it has hundreds of activities on the activity calculator. Good Luck.:drinker:
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the exact answer to this, but I would think you'd put in the higher number...I have a heart rate monitor that I use to calculate my calories burned, and when I am walking around my neighborhood, of course I have to stop at some points to wait to cross the street or whatever, and my heart rate stays up during those times, so I am still burning calories even when I have those moments of inactivity. Granted, I am not stopped for a whole lot of time, but my heart rate monitor shows that my heart rate stays up, so I would guess it'd be the same for you...not sure though...
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: You actually only enter the actual time you are playing basketball or doing your strength training and not the inactivity times, that way you get an accurate rate of calories burned!:smile: