Off Topic- Careers

Options
2»

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I want to go to school for mortuary science,I always have.I got sidetracked being a screw up,but i am thinking of going to school for it when my daughter starts school.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do that too!!!

The mortuary science thing.
  • summerx275
    Options
    My wife and I are both Pharmacists, working at the FDA. Pharmacy is a great option, especially if a woman wants to work part time due to kids. The pay is good, and you can generally find work in any city. One downfall is that pharmacy school is now 6 years....plenty of different options out there, and if you are an attractive women, a pharmaceutical sales rep has very good prospects. I'm not trying to sound ignorant about the attractive women part, but I have seen many MDs and pharmacy purchasers give a lady rep much more attention than a guy...just sayin.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    I've always wanted to go into mortuary science as well. My mom thought I was a weirdo as a kid because when she asked what I wanted to be when I was older I told her "I want to be like Vada's dad from My Girl" (he owned a funeral home) lol
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm just about to graduate with my BSc Psychology here in the UK. It is a subject which you really need to be passionate about it. You also need to have quite a good grasp with numbers as statistics are used indepth throughout. I know many people who have dropped out due to this reason. It is acknowledged as being a good degree and here in the UK, you can complete a one year course afterwards which will give you an actual law degree...so you can keep your options open.

There are hundred of ways you can use Psychology for a career...Educational, Child, Environmental (great fun), Clinical, Social, Technological!....it, in my opinion sets you up for a good career.

However...the work doesn't stop at a degree. You need to get a Masters or PhD to really gain financial benefits.

Only when you get to Masters level do you need to choose which direction you would like to go.

:flowerforyou:
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to go to a community college and get an associates if you haven't already. This way you can get a bunch of gen ed classes out of the way and discover more what you want to do. I actually have two associates (too lazy to move on), a BS in Agriculture (planned to become a veterinarian), and now almost done with my masters in computer science. I will probably get a job programming some where, though if I could get a job in the bioinformatics field (my emphasis), I'd make some nice money.

Lately I've been having all these great ideas for starting my own businesses, so who knows what I'll be doing in 5 years.

So in conclusion, as many others have said, just because you get a degree in a field, doesn't mean you'll actually work in that field.