HRM Question!

Options
I just bought a HRM today! It's a Timex with a chest strap.

I just got done testing it out, I power walked a consistant 4.0 mph for 2 miles, so 31 minutes.
I had my cardio trainer going while i did so, and it said i burned different from my HRM which read different from what MFP said.

CT: 142
MFP: 152
And
HRM: 276 wuuut?

Is that too high? My peak BMP was 158 and average was 138

Is that right? I got this thing to make sure that I am recording my calorie burned right, so that I dont over or under eat my net calories.

Help please!

Replies

• Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    Did you enter your info correctly in the HRM? What the HRM says should be the most accurate as long as the info you enter in it is correct.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I put my weight and all of that in.
    When it asks for my lower targer and upper target zone, does that matter if it was off?
    I mean, it would just caclulate with my weight and BMP right?
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    yep agreed.....you have to enter your height and weight, etc then it goes by your Heart Rate so I would take the HRM's number over the other two and yes when I bought mine my eyes were opened too to the fact of what I was really burning, now I don't leave home without it.
  • Zombriana
    Options
    Alright, jeeeez! I just can't make myelf believe that i am burning that much. I don't want to over eat!! Uhhg!

I guess I'll just keep comparing it to the other exercises I have been doing.

BTW: What if it doesnt ask me for my height?
  • Homer3D
    Options
    That would be strange for it not to ask. To get an accurate caloric burn, it needs to know your age, height, weight and gender. Which HRM did you get?
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    bump
  • Zombriana
    Options
    timex T5G971
  • Homer3D
    Options
    timex T5G971

Hmm...I can't seem to find a manual for it online. But there has to be a way to enter your information.
  • Deidresmith
    Options
    The best way to figure out how many calories you are burning is to do a VO2 Max test. The main objective of this test it to figure out your max heart rate where your aerobic exercise turns to anaerobic exercise, but it also tell you many more interesting things such as how many calories your body can burn at your max HR. You can then use this info to calculate how many calories your burning at any HR which is where the HRM comes handy. :)

You can get this test done at most gyms but it's rather expensive ($200+) or if there is a University close to you then call their PE department and ask if they do this test. Most Universities have very low costs, at EWU it's only $50 for a nonstudent and free for any EWU student. :)
  • Zombriana
    Options
    Thanks guys!

After reading these replies, along with other posts about HRMs I decided to go back to Academy and return my Timex and forked out the extra bucks to get the Polar FT4. I don't mind paying for accuracy!

I used it this morning for 2 of my exercises that I do everyday.

Turns out that I burn more on one, Just Dance 2, and burn less on the other, JM 30 DS, but not by much, just a couple of cals.

I'm super excited to see what else changes!!