Snack Ideas

Options
Believe it or not I am actually finding trouble adding more calories. Here is my dilemma...I am supposed to be on a 1480 calorie in order to lose 1 lb a week. Yesterday with exercising I only consumed 1100 calories but exercised off 500 netting only 600 calories. My fitness plan told me to be careful because I am not eating enough. I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch and do a balanced meal for dinner so I thought I could add calories through snacks. I am nervous about eating too little because I don't want to send my body into "starvation" mode. I know I could eat the extra calories with out a problem but I want the calories to count, to be healthy. I don't want to just eat a bunch of chips, or chocolate which to me are empty calories. I know I have to eat in order to keep my metabolism up and burn fat not muscle.
Do you have an ideas for me?

Replies

• purple_punk
    purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    raw carrots are nice :)
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nuts & Cheese are good options for "non-empty/good-fat" calories.
  • timmy2strikes
    timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Fruit and nut's are always good. Trail mixes are also good and combine the two.
  • Tootie0911
    Options
    THERE ARE A LOT OF 100 CAL SNACKS: BY NABISCO 100 CAL CHIPS AHOY, RICE KRISPIES ARE ONLY 90 CALS.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great and add some fresh fruits.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    lowfat yogurt, string cheese, trail mix, protein bars (luna are good), hardboiled eggs, bananas, grapes - maybe try increasing your calories at meals - b/c you are looking at adding a lot through snacks
  • LuvinMe46
    Options
    How about trailmix, granola, pears, or berries. I'm no expert but they seem to be filling and nutritious given the right portion sizes. Good luck!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest like hummus and pretzels or almonds are always a good choice.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Nuts are great (almonds, pistachios, etc...)

How about some veggies (sugar snap peas) with hummus?

A little bit of cheese.

Just some thoughts.
  • mjemerson
    mjemerson Posts: 141
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been doing hummus with carrots or tortilla chips making sure I stick to the serving sizes. I get string cheese for my daughters so I might start stealing from their stash. I am not a big fan of yogurt but like the ideas of the nuts. I think I do need to add something to the meals though too. Thanks you all for your help!!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have been doing hummus with carrots or tortilla chips making sure I stick to the serving sizes. I get string cheese for my daughters so I might start stealing from their stash. I am not a big fan of yogurt but like the ideas of the nuts. I think I do need to add something to the meals though too. Thanks you all for your help!!

If you don't like yogurt by itself you can always try putting nuts (I usually put almonds) in the yogurt or some people put granola. Also, adding some fresh berries in might make it a bit more appealing as well!
  • keyariluvs
    Options
    I usually snack on one serving of cheez-its or a cup of some kind of fresh fruit (usually strawberries or pineapples. Satisfy's my cravings
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Add calorie dense foods like nut butters, cheese and nuts. It does not take a lot to really add up.