Can you please Critque my Diary??

Calif_Girl67
Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I have been watching what I eat for over a month now and have only lost 5 pounds so i am not complaining
but I would like some suggestions or advice. If you would please look at my Diary I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    5 lbs in about 5 weeks sounds fantastic. You seem to be doing well. The only thing I suggest is trying to eat more to get closer to your daily goal. I see you are consistently about 300 calories under. A handful of peanuts (160cal) and a glass of milk (60-100cal depending on fat%) will get you really close and is a easy to eat night-time snack if you notice you are just short.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    5 lbs in a month is a good weigh loss. You don't want to lose it too fast, slow and steady is the way to go. I didn't look at your diary, but here are some pointers I have received. Watch your sodium intake (can cause you to retain water). Make sure to be drinking at least 8 glasses a day. Losing weight shouldn't be a fast process. Be patient. You are doing well so far.
  • cryssybaby77
    cryssybaby77 Posts: 22 Member
    Lots of processed food.. Try making small changes. Like 1 packet of oatmeal and lots of fresh fruit. Trying staying away from "diet" processed food.. and drink drink drink water.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Just looked at it..you are doing well. Your process is right on target. Just don't get discouraged. It is a slow process!!!
  • cryssybaby77
    5 lbs lose is great!!!
  • cryssybaby77
    I see you have used Ken's salad dressing have you tried the fat free Raspberry Pecan? its heaven!!
  • 5 pounds in a month is good. It looks like you're on the right track. Are you working out too? Sometimes when you work out (especially if you're body isn't used to strenuous exercise) your muscles can retain water and it can take a few days before they get used to the workouts...all in all it looks like you're on the right track though...good luck on your journey! :)
  • monky13grl
    monky13grl Posts: 55 Member
    5 lbs is definitely great! You are eating a lot of processed foods that are high in sodium I hit a large plateau and had to evaluate what I was eating. I try to stay very close to my calorie goal (not under by more than 50 since that actually tells your body to hold onto weight), but I added 6 servings of vegetables and 3 of fruit. That took away a lot of room for processed foods. Also, I would tell you to eat more frequently. I see somedays, in order to be under your goal, you dont eat dinner. I aim for 4-6 small meals. Lastly, drink a glass of water before every time you eat. It will help you feel full. You are doing great... don't get too focused on numbers. Just be healthy. Also, don't forget that cardio, especially after 3 weeks of dieting, goes a long way.
  • gpschob
    gpschob Posts: 16
    Need to eat more protein
  • Calif_Girl67
    I get bored with food and with eating the same things so I try to mix it up every day. I try not too eat too many processed foods
    but its not that easy lol. Considering my husband is a truck driver for a produce business I get all the fruit & veggies I want.
    I exercise just about everyday and I drink 8-16 glasses of water a day.

How do you stay away from processed foods? And there is Sodium in everything. I try not to eat all of my exercise calories and
    I am trying to not eat anything after 8pm at night.
  • cryssybaby77
    Hell I know its hard... I didn't mean to sound like I was putting you down. I am not perfect when it comes to not eating that stuff.. Just today I had a bag of snack sized chips because I was still hungry after my tomato sandwich..and I was tired after working out..
    Every Pound lost is not one that is gained.. :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I have been watching what I eat for over a month now and have only lost 5 pounds so i am not complaining
    but I would like some suggestions or advice. If you would please look at my Diary I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Snacks are way high in carbs. it's not leaving you much room for dinner. Try to stay away from processed food. There are a lot of sites where you can get low cal, low carb recipes. Maybe save the orange for the morning snack and the yogurt for the afternoon. Skip the packaged Crackers. If you don't buy processed you can't eat processed.
  • Calif_Girl67
    So what do you eat that is NOT processed?? That would only leave fruits and veggies and thats going to get old really fast!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,545 Member
    I actually think your diary looks pretty good and sustainable and in my opinion that is key. A 5 lb. weight loss in a month seems slow when you hear folks who are on drastic "diets" lose 5 lbs. in a week but if you want the weight to stay off, slow and steady definitely wins the race. My only critique would be echoing the not eating dinner a few times-that's really hard on your body. I sure as heck eat out and boy, the calories add up fast, but not fueling your body is worse than going over a little bit. I also don't think it's a bad thing to not eat all your exercise calories back. It leaves you a little wiggle room for error especially if you don't exactly measure/weigh everything and if you use MFP's exercise calorie count vs. a HRM and if you don't subtract out the calories you would have burned during that time period being alive. It's really hard to not eat processed foods and you are right there is sodium in so much stuff. Just try to limit it as much as you can while still being able to live YOUR life.
  • I agree with everyone's thoughts. You are doing great so far. Here are a couple ideas if you are worried about processed food and sodium.
    1. If you work from home, make some more meals from scratch (or semi-scratch). If you hate cooking (like I do!) then look for easy, healthy recipes. Plus you can cook on Sunday make some meals for the week. Instead of Lean Pocket - Try an Arnolds Sandwich Thin with deli meat and cheese toasted in the oven. Instead of cereal bars try fresh fruit and nuts (almonds, soy nuts, pepitas, etc.) Nuts are great toasted in the oven! Instead of Green Giant Steamers make a stir fry with fresh veggies and brown rice.

2. You can eliminate 30+% of sodium from any canned foods (veggies or beans) by rinsing them off in a strainer before cooking. It sounds like you get lots of fresh produce, but I know I love and eat lots of black beans, pinto beans, etc.

Also, are you exercising? I know that no matter where my calories land each week, I always lose more if I've gone for a couple of walks or done some activity during the week.

Your progress is great so far and right on track. Keep up the good work!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    So what do you eat that is NOT processed?? That would only leave fruits and veggies and thats going to get old really fast!!

No. low cal whole grain breads, pitas, tortillas, fresh veggies and fruit, lean meats, fish, yogurt, popcorn, whole grain crackers, sharp cheese. Look online for low cal, low carb recipes and try to make more things yourself. Put recipes in to create recipes and see what the stats are before you make them, that way you can play with ingedients before you make them to see if they are healthy. I go to dlife.com because you can get healthy recipes for breakfast, dinners, lunch, snacks....... and it lets you pick if you want low fat, carb, cal. Just my suggestions.
  • Here are some of my fav recipes if you're looking for something different. I know how bored I get with my standard meals all the time.

Spinach and Red Pepper Pita Pizza
    http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/spinach-pepper-pita-pizzas-recipe-mslo0610

Curried Chicken Salad
    (I use canned chick instead of tofu)
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/curried_tofu_salad.html

Yummy Enchiladas
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeID=35748&Source=SearchResultPage&terms=enchilada

Healthy Stuffed Peppers
    tons of flavor!!
    http://www.bethenny.com/2010/08/06/stuffed-peppers-recipe/

Yummy Michelle (it's named for my friend who makes it)
    delish stir fry or lo mein type thingy
    yakisoba or chinese noodles, red and green peppers, mushrooms, extra firm tofu, garlic and hoison sauce. Brown tofu and garlic. At same time, cook noodles to package directions. Dice and throw in veggies to tofu skillet (mushrooms last or their be too soft) just enough to steam them with lid on. Mix them all in a bowl with 3-5 tblspoons of hoison sauce (taste to liking). Add pepper or crushed red pepper.
  • Calif_Girl67
    sgiacherio ,

I'm not a bean eater unless its refried beans,green beans,snap beans,pole beans. Other then that.... I don't eat Spinach
    either. I never use to like yogurt until I found out about Chobani and now I eat it everyday :)

Yes, I exercise 30+ min a day each and everyday and drink my water too.
  • With exercise and water it sounds like you're doing great then! Keep up the good work. Mmmmm, I love Chobani. :)
This discussion has been closed.