What do you do before a Party?

Options
What do you all do before you go to a party, family reunion, dining out ect..... how do you stay cool and not get tempted with all the foods...Holidays is just around the corner such as 4th of july and bbq's.

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    Eat at this party, eat a meal. Make it as reasonable and healthy as possible, stay away from grazing. Once you are done eating, chew gum, drink water and get busy mingling with people away from the snack table!
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I usually have something to eat before I go. I will still have something at the party but if I've eaten already I will only have small amounts.
  • shuneault
    shuneault Posts: 13
    Options
    I allow myself to enjoy the foods I love during parties but I do so in moderation; that way I am not denying myself but I'm also not stuffing my face. I also try to workout before I go, whether that be at the gym or a long walk, etc.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Eat at this party, eat a meal. Make it as reasonable and healthy as possible, stay away from grazing. Once you are done eating, chew gum, drink water and get busy mingling with people away from the snack table!

Well put!
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It's tough, but you just have to be committed to what you are doing. There will ALWAYS be temptations and, if you give in once in a while, don't let it derail you. Just chalk it up to experience and do better the next time. For the record though, I do allow myself the occasional indulgence. As long as I'm good 95 percent of the time, I can burn off the other 5 percent and not feel deprived. I know that I am in the process of getting in the best shape of my life and, to me, that is a better reward than any beer or cookie or burger could possibly give me.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Right before I shower and start getting ready, I do an intense workout. It makes me feel so great and for some reason that great burn is enough to make me say no to anything that isn't healthy for me. This really works for me. I hope you try it!
  • a_freeman
    a_freeman Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The challenge is drinking. I can control what I eat as long as I don't drink. Once I've had a drink or two. Forget about it. I have to decide before I go. If I'm going to drink, I'll probably be bad and just put it behind me and start again the next day
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Well if you plan your day around that meal and workout to enjoy the party.
    Eat healthy choices but still enjoy the party
    Save your treat day for the party.
    One meal isnt going to ruin everything but keep water with you to drink.
    Portion control is the key a small spoon of potato salad instead of a scoop, limit the beers to 3 not 10, 1 rack of ribs instead of 3. Eat salad
    Life still goes on and food isnt the enemy, we have to live our lives, eat and enjoy but within reason.
  • saltorian
    saltorian Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What I'm learning to do is plan ahead. Of course, you won't always know what's going to be served if someone else is throwing the party, but if you do have an idea of what's going to be there, you can think about your choices before you end up standing in front of all that delicious food.

I have a birthday party we're throwing at work on Saturday, and since I know everything that we're serving, I played around with my choices and portion sizes on that day's food diary. It let me decide ahead of time what I was willing to indulge in and what I was going to avoid (for example, I decided to have a piece of cake but no frosting). By looking at it all on paper before I go in, I can make rational choices instead of being driven by my appetite.

I understand this doesn't always work, especially at a BBQ that others are throwing or if you go to an event that has a lot of home-made foods with no calorie information available. I'm lucky enough that I can actually bring my kitchen scale to work (I work in a group home) and measure everything just like at home.
  • lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Sounds great
    What I'm learning to do is plan ahead. Of course, you won't always know what's going to be served if someone else is throwing the party, but if you do have an idea of what's going to be there, you can think about your choices before you end up standing in front of all that delicious food.

I have a birthday party we're throwing at work on Saturday, and since I know everything that we're serving, I played around with my choices and portion sizes on that day's food diary. It let me decide ahead of time what I was willing to indulge in and what I was going to avoid (for example, I decided to have a piece of cake but no frosting). By looking at it all on paper before I go in, I can make rational choices instead of being driven by my appetite.

I understand this doesn't always work, especially at a BBQ that others are throwing or if you go to an event that has a lot of home-made foods with no calorie information available. I'm lucky enough that I can actually bring my kitchen scale to work (I work in a group home) and measure everything just like at home.