sugar alcohol

Options
danipals
danipals Posts: 143 Member
Does anyone else get a headache when they eat food with sugar alcohol? I've noticed that low carb bars usually have sugar alcohol in them and that I usually end up with a bit of a headache after eating them. Needless to say I won't any more but was wondering if this happens to anyone else?

Replies

• SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    I don't get headaches when I eat ice cream with sugar alcohol in it.

What exactly is sugar alcohol anyway? I've never heard of that until last month.
  • HollyHask
    HollyHask Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I found this but it did not mention headaches (sorbitol, in my sugar free gum hurts my kids' bellys)

The most common side effect is the possibility of bloating and diarrhea when sugar alcohols are eaten in excessive amounts. There is also some evidence that sugar alcohols, much like fructose (natural fruit sugar) in fruit and fruit juice can cause a "laxative effect." Weight gain has been seen when these products are overeaten. The American Diabetes Association claims that sugar alcohols are acceptable in a moderate amount but should not be eaten in excess. Some people with diabetes, especially Type I diabetics, have found that their blood sugars rise if sugar alcohols are eaten in uncontrolled amounts.

:smile: Holly
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    thats and acid with sugar and just a carb
    try to avoid them it can cause bloating, loose stools, diarrhea and gastrointestinal cramps too...