Machine vs MFP

Options
mjfer123
mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
Okay,

so at the gym, the treadmills/bikes/ellipticals all give you calorie burned info.
All of these machines say I burn more per minute than what MFP says I should be.
So which do I listen to MFP or machine?
The machine could be off because of my height?
I know theres going to be a strong response for heart rate monitors and stuff, which Im considering as well.
But for the mean time what do you suggest?

Replies

• mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Okay,

so at the gym, the treadmills/bikes/ellipticals all give you calorie burned info.
    All of these machines say I burn more per minute than what MFP says I should be.
    So which do I listen to MFP or machine?
    The machine could be off because of my height?
    I know theres going to be a strong response for heart rate monitors and stuff, which Im considering as well.
    But for the mean time what do you suggest?
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I really never go by what MFP says, I go by what the machine says ONLY if it allows me to input my height and weight...which would make it more accurate. If you don't have an HRM, you can always reference this site as well.....http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    I was having the same problem. The machine at the gym said 350 calories for 30 minutes. MFP says 283 for the same time..and when I got the HRM (your sitting down, right?) I got 190 calories. I wanted to cry, throw a fit, send the HRM back, and quit the gym. I have adjusted..and stopped eating 200 extra calories a day.
    So..get a HRM ASAP...then you will know for sure :)
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    ugh - looks like I'm gonna have to go with the HRM. My husband has one, but I don't think I'll like the thing on my chest.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I had to send a note about the HRM.

I didn't want the one with the chest strap either. So I bought the touch one. NOW I wish I hadn't of bought it but gone with the advice and bought one that I can do a push of the button AND chest strap. I did NOT realize that it wasn't a quick push a button and keep running. It requires two hands.

When I am running I have to constantly move my right hand to my left wrist causing me to get off balance to check my heart. This odd running goes on for a few seconds and then I'm back to trying to get into rhythm. When I am riding my bike, I have to move one hand over to the other bar to check my heart rate, again causing me to be unsteady. When I am walking, same thing! And if I am on a bumpy road I have to completely stop moving to let my heart rate and thumb match on beats. It is a pain!

Again, I didn't realize it didn't just quickly go touch, beep, and done. Nope...